Translate »
Thursday, October 23rd, 2014

10 African Kings and Queens Whose Stories Must be Told on Film

Ta Seti First Monarch

Last month Nick Cannon expressed his disdain for movies such as “Django Unchained” and “12 Years a Slave,”  saying he’s tired of seeing Black people portrayed as slaves on film. Recognizing that African people’s history started prior to being enslaved, the actor tweeted that he would like to see Blacks portray  kings and queens in films instead.

“Why don’t they make movies about our African kings & queens? #OurHistory I would love to see a film about Akhenaton and his beautiful wife Queen Nefertiti! Or Cetewayo, a king who was a war hero. Im about to drive to my office right now and start the development! New Hollywood Trend, Black king and queen films! Starring Black people!!”

Below are 10 kings and queens whose extraordinary accomplishments would make great storylines for films.

king Hannibal

King Hannibal is said to be the greatest military leader and strategist of all time. Hannibal was born in 247 B.C., during the beginning of the decline of Carthage, then a maritime power near present-day Tunis in North Africa. The Carthage population was a mix of Africans and Phoenicians who were great merchants, trading with India, the people of the Mediterranean and the Scilly Isles.

When he was very young, about 8 or 9, Hannibal accompanied his father Hamilclar in a battle against the Romans. Seventeen years later in 221 B.C., he succeeded his brother-in-law Hasdrubal, and became supreme commander of the peninsula.

Hannibal had 80,000 infantry, 12,000 cavalry, and 40 African war elephants. He conquered major portions of Spain and France, and all of Italy, except for Rome.

Hannibal marched his army and war elephants through the Alps to surprise and conquer his enemies. In one battle, the Romans put 80,000 men on the field led by Scipio to defeat Hannibal. When Scipio attacked with his entire army, Hannibal had so studied the grounds that he arranged his African swordsmen and elephants to trampled and slaughter them.

After killing thousands of Roman soilders in lengthy battle, Hannibal took his own life rather than surrender when he was overwhelmed by the larger Roman army.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Comments

1. Myron Johnson says:

Hannibals strategy and tactics are still studied and used by the U.S. Military.

2. Jon Collier says:

A Black Day Is Coming…A Black Day Is Here–Last Poets..

3. I like your view about Queen of Sheba….but in my opinion if you add Ethiopian queen TAitu who fought aganist Italian agression of Ethiopia that Victory declared by her war tactic, advise of her husband King Minelik….she is also a founder of the current capital city of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa

4. Tammy Thompson-Walker says:

In the words of the great warrior, Marcus Garvey…."A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots." Let's return & get it. HOTEP!

5. Instead of Mansa Musa, I will put Sundiata Keita the last non-Islamicised King of the Kingdom of Mali

6. Are y'all willing to help pay to get these multi-million dollar historical epics made? Anything can be done…it all comes down to whose is going to pay for it. Are there a 100,000 people who would pledge $50 each to getting one of these done?

7. Akim Hamlet says:

Hannibal was black? Didnt know that lol

8. Devan Clark says:

A filmmaker should ask and at least see if that's possible..I believe properly informed Blacks would give..

9. Mary Woods says:

High Five Nick!

10. I think its a great initiative though we have to get the storyline and the core message carried upon, it shouldn't be some sort of "we want equality" type of a thing. Anyway I think its good.

11. they'll never be able to use them in a war today cause most countries use guerrilla warfare. and white people have never been able to fight that style. thats why america hasnt won a war since world war 2

12. i would pledge the money if it was a historian i trusted to make it. like anthony browder. some of these conscious guys like tariq nasheed are in it for the money. but i would definitely sign up to throw some money at the producers.

13. yea, white people use word games. they call it Carthage and never ever refer to it as northern africa, giving you the impression that its somewhere over there, but you just dont know where.
    then they name movie characters (like from the A-team) after our heroes to further steal our history.

14. Reign Ellis says:

I wonder will Oprah and Tyler help in these projects.POSITIVE depictions of black people. I love this. Let's see if Black Hollywood will support Nick. You can support Precious, Color Purple, and Brewster Place…come and support this!

15. Baba Lufuno says:

Mwenemutapa is another who deserves a film

16. I agree with Nick Cannon. Our history didn't start off as slaves. We were Kings and Queens. Lets see more of that, than our people in chains and being whipped.

17. A son that Celebrates 'Our Story' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskgfPm6gl0

18. Tyleah McFadden says:

Is it too late to get into knowing your Black history? I feel fake.

19. There is already a movie on Shaka instead of making movie's open up a book do some research.

20. yes – Carthaginians were seen as Black by the ancient Romans. There are coins and literary evidence to support this – I had to engage some this literature during my Thesis research in Classical Studies.

21. I agree with that, but we should also have entertainment media's to encourage further engagement and provide exposure. I think engaging entertainment mediums is important because you access a wider audience. I think, in this way, we can get more people interested and, in turn, hitting the books.

22. We need Black directors, actors, producers, and others in the cinematic industry to make an effort to engage Black antiquities (ancient and Medieval) as oppose to just slavery and civil rights. The Black experience is so much more – that's what the Eurocentric world doesn't want us to see.

23. No comment of emperor Hallie Selassie. Why?

24. Jesse James says:

But you're not upset bout film about men dressed like women
    12 years a slave is about how we over came the worse to rise up. I am proud that we survived and never gave up would like to see a film about Nat Turnner. Oh by the way some of the kings sold black men and women and made money from the slave trade

25. I not tired of slaves films. That is a part of history thst we need to remember, because it's a part of American history that's not taught in schools! And yes our history did not begin with slavery and that should be taught as well!

26. Cecilia Miguel says:

just to certify my Queen Njinga was not born in West Africa, she is Bantu , so she from Southern Africa(Angola)

27. You are correct, Collin Powel mention Hannibal's type srtategy used in one of the most recent wars of the US

28. Yea, Spike Lee and others recently talked about that very idea.

29. Matamba/Angola, southwest Africa. There were so many African people kidnapped from Matamba/Angola, and brought to US to be held as slaves, that they named the plantation Angola, which is now a state prison, Angola. Filled to capacity with African men. So most of the blacks from around those parts in Louisiana, can safely say, they are from Matamba/Angola. Unbelievable. Our queen fought forty years trying to save our people.

30. Did Nick Cannon say that? Great. Nick if you read this, look, Toussaint L'Overture of Haiti, I believe he was greater than Hannibal, and all the rest, but they all were great.

31. Devan Clark says:

You cant Blame the film makers..The reason so much Bullcrap gets made has more to do with the Black audience..What Black people will pay to see is what you will get in theaters.Best man Holliday far outpaced 12 years a Slave .12 years a slave did okay but still fell short compared to most at only 34,187,000. The truth is especially for Black women.They want to see light hearted feel good stuff ,that is unrealistic .Black woman doing what they want at will with long Blond weave down their backs is very appealing to Black women.That is the reason Best man did so well.it had it had all the elements most Black females lust for.Fake,gorgeous wealthy men,hair weaves,sex and the biggest one of all,the stupid belief in "POSSIBLY" getting a white man some day.The movies are for entertainment,but we black folks take the cake in stupidity in what we enjoy watching preety much ALL THE TIME..

32. Reign Ellis says:

Devan Clark the film makers do have their part as well sir. You have stated a LOT of stereotypes of black women but the same can be said of black men. Black men are also stereotyped lately as gay down low brothers. Are most black men desiring a gay lover behind closed doors. Certainly not! I guess that is why "we" are going for the "white man". This is ridiculous. We must first have the financial gain to make movies because a lot of producers and directors who are black will not back these types of films. I am sure if we (consumers) were given something different we would back it. We must stand together as a people as the KINGS and QUEENS and not play into these ridiculous notions against each other.

33. Evelyn King says:

This is a good read Jon.

34. Devan Clark says:

Reign Ellis I agree with you and I cannot in anyway make that argument..But the truth hurts.Most Black folks are not interested in movies of substance.Bill cosby talked about how 90% of the criticism he got about the Cosby show was from Black folk.They told him that they "ACTED WHITE" and the show was unrealistic. Blacks overall still have a slave mentality and crab in the barrel type of thinking from slavery. We as a whole don't support positive images of ourselves at all. Also,We are still in the same economic boat we were in 55 years ago.African Americans are the second largest consumers behind whites,but we spend less than 2% of that money with our own people.Blacks spend 13% of every dollar on entertainment purposes.Sneakers ,Movies,Video games and cars.This is the truth, untill we control our own Black dollars,we will always have to beg the white man to give us money to make the kinds of movies you want to see.

35. Reign Ellis says:

Devan Clark I totally agree with you on that sir. It is true. We are the driving force on every marketing venue and we do not invest in our own product or community. I agree with what Bill Cosby said also. We must get informed about how we can invest our own dollars. It is true about the slave mentality. Yes, I believe we must first work together collectively before anything can be achieved. It all begins with the mindset. Very good points.

36. Keeli Shey says:

I stopped reading at Mansa Mussa…. We africans all know that Mansa Mussa was the one who discovered America. He first sent 400 ships there but the ships drifted and one ship came back to him so he prepared 1000 ships ( Mens and food) for a new expedition that he conducted himself and let his kingdom to his successor ( Mansa Abu Bakri). First af all he lived earlier. second they all were muslim ( as their names can tell) third their Empire was the "Mandigo Empire". when Christopher Columbus arrived in America he describes The people he saw there in his diary and he told about the kind of people he saw and knew only in west africa as being Mandingos. You can make your own investigation and dig into this to find out if this is real. For an African American information Web Site in think it's sad to by pass such a rich history of our people ( we black people). So i stop reading what my brother wrote because it sounded very light to me. I invite anyone to chanllage what i'm saying here about Mansa Mussa so the truth can come out for all of us.

37. I was thinking the same thing my brother, It will never be told unless we do it. keep my name on your list, I don't have much but I am a willing worker and I want this .

38. Kiione Davis says:

Here lies the greatest problem. While these stories are known they are known by mostly white historians. They would not dare, usually, to disagree with the standard idea that these major historical occurrences happened in mixed race or white nations. The stories of Rameses II or Hannibal have been done and portrayed by white actors and actresses. Chaka Zulu was done by African actors (too far in the South to get away with white ones) but they portrayed him as an absolute monster and tyrant. His brilliance as one of the greatest warrior kings to every live was subdued and down played.

39. can you please name me the kings wo sold their landsmen? and please do not forget to mention which currencies were used to make the transactions as well as the marketplaces where these exchanges were made. thank you in advance

40. Jesse James says:

Missed the point Esse

41. Ronald Green Jr. says:

Also Septimus Severus, one of the 5 black Roman emperors.

42. Ronald Green Jr. says:

So many more….Au Bar II, Sunni Ali just to name a few.

43. Ronald Green Jr. says:

*Abu Bakr II

44. Jan Lui Gomis says:

There are hundreds of African heroes, not just kings and queen, but men and women who are real references of African values. Kings and queens were resistant, conquerors and warriors. Men like El Hadj Omar, which is a reference. His kingdom was as big as West Africa. His war tactics taught in its largest military schools. Samori Toure as kings, who were a living legends, Gbéhanzin, Etc … films and movies can inspire "Hollywhitewood". But we do not have funding for films as big and beautiful as Titanic. And we do not have this network of cinema, to compete with Hollywood. 54 countries and 1.1 billion African, 3x the U.S. population. And we have tons of stories to tell and no one to show them how it must be showned.
    I make dreams give my small contribution to these great men telling their works.

45. Jan Lui Gomis says:

Hannibal is from Tunisia (Carthage), he is one of the best military strategist ever.

46. Derek Collins says:

I would pay the $50 in a heartbeat!

47. Derek Collins says:

Yes I would love to se a film on Nat turner starring Samuel Jackson

48. I will pay $100.00. Well alright!! Now, all we need is 99,997 more of us. I am serious!!!

49. So what history books do you read? Why you are at it, read about Toussaint L'Overture of Haiti, he was probably better than Hannibal. Hannibal was a mullato, but still black. Toussaint one percent African.

50. Nzingha Shabaka I am familiar with Toussaint, his feats were magnificent. However, based on his circumstances Hannibal is arguably the best general of all time. Toussaint is definitely overrated though – that is true. The reason why I bring up Hannibal is because my main research focus is on Black antiquities.

51. Jesse James Jesse James Hi I read your comment on 12 years a slave and how you feel about "being proud that we survived and never gave up" The problem isn't the fact that we survived those hardships of black life. The question is why are we being fed only that one sided aspect of our history? I'm sure you either have seen, read or heard about the great Kings (David, Solomon, Saul etc..) of Jewish history, the great stories of Rome and its Ceasars, Generals, etc.. The great Japonese Samurai, and Chinese Emperors. However, all that you've seen on film about a group of people with the most ancient history of mankind started with slavery in the 1800s or so. Don't you at least want to see a story about the Kings, Queens, Rulers, Generals, Architects who helped built some of the most amazing monuments known to mankind? It seems that the people that are against seeing a film about black history before slavery are black, I'm lost and confused here. If I missed your point what was it?

52. Yes reading is essential to gain that information. However, the books are not reaching that vast number of people that movies have able to reach. How come Hollywood understands the power they have in film/television which is why they use to show how barbaric we are as a people, gang members, drug dealers, pimps, hoes, strippers, etc.. how many career oriented women or men do you see on these popular reality shows with a college degree with professional career like a doctor, nurse, architect, engineer, lawyer, teacher, maybe 1 but somehow most of us are completely blind that we are constantly being fed those images then you add at least 2 slave movies every year and rewarding them as the best movies. How come we don't see anything wrong with that. Denzel won an oscar for being a crooked cop screwing up his own ppl while Will Smith didn't win for playing a smart and responsible black man, Halle berry won for being a whore, Monique won for being an abusive mother same year Sandra Bullock won for saving a black boy, then the ladies in THE HELP won. Now is it me or there's something extremely wrong with that list.

53. Jennifer Hutson says:

I saw this movie as a young person and was so moved by Queen Nandi that I named my daughter after her. This article states that Nandi was his wife but most books and this movie say that Nandi was his mother. Maybe he married a woman named Nandi as well?

54. Derek Collins says:

I am serious as well. I will pay $100 no problem. I'm tired of seeing us as slaves. We were more than that. What are those films doing to the psyche of our children? Are these films conditioning us to think that we are weak and should accept abuse. They are not promoting strong black leaders who don't take anything less than the best. Even though Django fought back, he was freed by a white man and worked for him. Sigh !!!! I wish Hidden Colors was released in the movie theaters.

55. You hardly see any movies made in africa showing slavery. After many years i dont see hollywood bowing down to change their perception about black people. I rather channel my energy and efforts into something tangible and effective.

56. I think black history should be mandatory in schools.

57. Jennifer Hutson Actually, the article does state that Queen Nandi is his mother. "The son of Zulu Chief Senzangakhona and his wife Nandi".

58. April R. Murphy says:

Jesse James With respect, I think Esse point is that excuse is often used when some people talk about africans being sold into slavery. However the number of those leaders who sold their own pale in comparison to the astronomical number of native people who were taken. There are plenty of captain logs that support this.

59. April R. Murphy says:

Thanks for the corrections! I love reading the comments on things like this so I can research on my own. Your input is greatly appreciated!

60. Jennifer Hutson what's the name of this movie?

61. Our people never were SLAVES…….we were ENSLAVED held in Bondage. It's a difference.

62. my question was actually clear and simple. he claimed that " some of the kings sold black men and women and made money from the slave trade" and would just like to know which kings he is talking about. I guess there are some proofs

63. Jesse James says:

My mother cleaned white people homes and she brought a home and never drove a used car. Her grandmother was a slave. The stories she told me about her I can never hear enough

64. Jennifer Hutson says:

You have to make sure it's the version with gorgeous ass Henry Cele playing Shaka. :-)

65. Jesse James says:

Before I'm asked anymore Jeopardy questions or givin any more " Dr Ben " lessons let me say this with all due respect to my brothers and sisters. 12 Years a Slave was to me a well done film and a great story. The story of the African that was kidnaped and sold and
    forced into the cruelest slavery known to man kind must never be forgotten . The fact that our language and culture was beatin out of us. The fact that we made it from that to this is the Greatest Story ever told. That is my point

66. seeing this has given me streanth

67. Devan Clark the black men are equally guilty. you said that black women especially "They want to see light hearted feel good stuff ,that is unrealistic." the majority of young black people I saw in the movie theater when I went to see 12 years a slave were young women. I saw several older black men, but I only saw about 4 young men who looked about my age and each of them was there with their girlfriend. One of the couples was sitting behind me and the boyfriend told his girlfriend said he really didn't to sit through "some sad movie". I saw quite a few young black girls there with their friends, but not young black men. I even asked a guy friend of mine to come see the movie with me and he said that he didn't want to sit through some sad, serious slave movie. even with the bloggers I watch on youtube, almost all of the females whose channels I'm subscribed to have seen and spoken about 12 years a slave. Only one male blogger I follow has seen it. there is no "especially for black women." Both sexes are equally guilty and a lot of young black people in general are way too immature to take the initiative and see these movies.

68. Sharon Strudwick says:

Devan Clark, you are so right, I wish black women would VALUE themselves better than a blond weave and calling themselves the "B" word, it insults all Black women. It's time Black men and women demand better movies from Hollywood and stop paying to see trash that degrades us and stereotypes us into roles of being loose, drug dealers, gang bangers, calling each other the "N" word and the "B" word, we are much better people than this and our ancestors in African and in America fought for us to better people than what we have displayed and allowed white America to show us as. We need to work together and NOT against each other, it's okay to disagree but we need to STOP hating on each other, calling names and back stabbing each other. Come together my people, raise UP and be the Black men and women we were meant to be, then can younger people look up to you and see a positive out come and know they come from good stock.

69. Sharon Strudwick says:

70. Cassandra M. Fields says:

I would. I was just saying I'm sick of slave movies when they were talking about 12 years a Slave on the Golden Globes on GMA. If a fund gets started I would be willing to add some money towards the creation of movies like these.

71. Esse Yena Musa had many slaves just like any other great leader in those days. But it was quite common for Kings and rulers to sell there enemies to European, simply supply and demand.

72. Africans from my perception don't even consider the fact that slavery could not have happened without there need for guns and European manufactured goods.So i don't think the will even want to make films about something the caused great pain to those who were captured and sold for mere materials goods. This comment refers the West and Central African nations

73. I pledge $200 and do my part by doing fund raising in my own surroundings and community…

74. Keeli Shey says:

April R. Murphy Sorry. the one who reached america was Mansa Abu Bakri. His story was told by his successor (Mansa Moussa) during his trip to mecca. Mansa Moussa was followed by mansa Souleyman. please be kind to verify.

75. Keeli Shey says:

All you guy know came from slave masters… do you really thing they spent a dime on buying slaves ? tell them to open archives in europ ( Nantes, Bordeaux, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, etc…) and bring the receipts of payments they made to africans….. We Africans are very frustrated about that story because it's wrong. it never happened

76. I enjoyed every word of this article! Must dig up some more.

77. Who said the movies would be about black people held as slaves in Africa?

78. Who said the movies would be about black people held as slaves in Africa?

79. Right, I never say that, I always say, we were held as slaves.

80. Right, I never say that, I always say, we were held as slaves.

81. Tristan Samuels Just read your response today. Look, when you look at the forces our father Toussaint were up against, you have to think he was better. My reason, there were France, Spain, and Britian, when the the Haitian revolution started, he had no weapons first starting out, he and the people were so determined, no weapons, but they were able to create tatics that were unbelievable, they set alll the plantations on fire all at the same tme, we are talking maybe hundreds, I really don't know how many exactly, but I read, that you could not tell night from day, they went on to acquire weapons somehow, and won. The reason Haiti has not been able to progress is because of the sanctions against them by the west including the US, headed by Thomas Jefferson. And they had to pay France reparations, that is crazy. I recently found our Haiti is trying to get their money back, in todays dollars, we are talking about billions, they finally paid off in 1946. They fooled Toussaint to France after the war, talking about treaties, when he got there they arrested him locked him up in some building on a hill, and starved him to death. Unbelievable.

82. Nzingha Shabaka I think Rome, at the time Hannibal was facing them, had more advantages than France, Spain, and Britain. But what makes Touissants feat better is that he won.

83. The only people who can tell our story is African and African Americans otherwise it will be lies it will take men such as Tyler Perry, Spike Lee Malcolm Lee, Nick Cannon Gardner, and many historians to come together with deep pockets the Africans have deep pockets that are not controlled dollars African American their dollars are controlled with the black card by their handlers now Tyler and Oprah, Gardner that is a different story;

84. Richard Daniel says:

I'll put fitty on it…

85. Original people populated the globe, now inaccurately referred to as "African". It is obvious many of us are still mentally enslaved. Great so called African leaders should be celebrated, but to what end?

86. I wish that brother luck getting the backing he needs, because white Hollywood certainly isn't going to do it. And, black millionaires do anything that isn't self serving??

87. James McRae says:

Let make it happen!

88. Slavery is only a part of our recent history. I learned alot reading this article and we should share this knowledge with Everybody

89. Shawnda Jennings says:

I wish that we-African Americans- and Africans could engage in more conversation about our history because my people have been brainwashed to be at odds with our distant relatives. If we knew history before slavery, I think we would feel better about uniting and taking trips to "go back home". I like that you Keeli Shey are at least saying that history before slavery is being taught and passed on in Africa, that is the link that we need to be able to raise our American children with. How can we get more information. I know that during slavery things were broken up and different groups of Africans were mixed up, so as to stay under the control of the slaveholders in a strange land. I feel though that if we knew more about the history before our people were put on the ship maybe it will be easier to link back to our original cultures. I would like to know if my people were from a particular tribe or a kingdom. There may be no way to truly trace it, but i think it would help with the broken culture that we are dealing with today, especially with the word being out that Africans were in America before slavery.

90. Esse Yena , THANK YOU for that Question. Europeans injected that Train of thought into the Black Psyche and like the Storm troopers we are, we espouse that foolishness with no investigation. I really wish black people would stop lying to themselves and others with no evidence.

91. Esse Yena , THANK YOU for that Question. Europeans injected that Train of thought into the Black Psyche and like the Storm troopers we are, we espouse that foolishness with no investigation. I really wish black people would stop lying to themselves and others with no evidence.

92. I love all the comments about Nicks' ideal. To make it happen, controls should be developed as to how and what the funds will be spent on. This is a very workable ideal with some good logical sound planning. If a good sound plan is put together, I'm willing to contribute a $100.00.

93. I agree with your comments. 12 Years a Slave had a great psychological impact on me and a tremendous appreciation for the life that I am living today. Because my forefathers and mothers sacrificed their lives and never gave up the battle to attain freedom for future generations, this history gives me courage to continue making progress for equality for all people–even at age 72. The history of racial equality should continue to be told—from the beginning–so that it never ends.

94. Great comments. After visiting Africa and getting acquainted with several of the village people, I acquired a deep appreciation of my family and history. For me it was like finding a part of me that was missing–brothers and sisters, who lived with love, joy and peace in a country that was often at war with their neighboring village. I left wishing that I could stay there. I also experienced, as a Professor, every student that came to my class from Africa, adopted me as their " Mother" rather than teacher; it felt wonderful to be loved without judgment "whether I knew what I was teaching or not". I must give credit to the predominately white university, that provided this experience; they also benefitted from the information that was acquired from my travels. I also learned from African students that loving racists individuals can change their values and beliefs from hate to love,

95. Keeli Shey says:

You all know where the money is…. Go take it in Africa… Recently Mariah Carrey went to perform in Angola for 2 hours she received a 1 million USD cheque from the government of Angola… Fund the movie with afican money !!! Many have been told africa is poor… but that is false travel there and let me knp is african is poor as NGOs want you to believe …

96. Keeli Shey Why don'e we fund it with African American money first. Show we are committed and invested in such a project. Then sell it to them and pursue partnership. :-)

97. Keeli Shey says:

Shawnda Jennings how do you think Spike Lee knew he was coming from Cameroon… DNA test

98. I'm proud he took the initiative. I will support this forum. I hope this will come true.

99. The time has come for true history to be reviled, and yes this can be done. We've done what we choose to do. Every thing starts with a thought. It's time.

100. Pasha Golliday says:

No, this is one of the earliest known images of Sheba. This image was found in an old book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BlackSheba-Text.jpg

101. Absolutely. Show me the prospectus

102. Keeli Shey says:

Make some research on the Olmecs and you will easily understand that africans were in america more than 200 years before colombus…. http://www.ccsf.edu/Library/exhibits/olmechead.html

103. Yes.
    and I would love to be the accountant on the movie ..always wanted to do that.

104. Glester Thorpe says:

Jan Lui Gomis yea but the same people in Tunisia today aren't the same as who was ruled Carthage.

105. Michael Hammett says:

What?! Increase Black Pride? Have us become the powerful people that we descend from? It is a shameful display of hiding the trurh and DESTROYING it too.

106. Yes sir!!! The answer to your question is 100,000,000 times YES!!! Yes in the footsteps of Oscar Micheaux…YES!!!

107. Mansa Jally says:

It is believed that some of Mansa Musa's Army did made it to the coast of Mexico 150yrs before Columbus. There is an evidence for that, there is a small town on the East cost of Mexico call MANDINGA; The people are of African origins. They believed their ancestor were not enslaved,

108. Deborah A Maisonet says:

I would also like to see some biblical films portraying black characters- Jesus, Deborah, Barak, Solomon's lover, Sheba, many others…

109. Make sure the correct depiction of these people are presented. And be ready to band together as a people for all involved. When you are behind uplifting black folks you end up dead, discredited and broke. Its a real reason why it hasn't been done before. The powers that be; come for you if you do any real historical uplifting work. Be prepared to defend black at all costs.

110. Ask yourselves, what benefits for whites would result from the movie portrayal of Africans as kings and queens?

111. You can't dismantle the Masters house using the Masters tools.

112. Hi Tammy, totally in agreement. There's a great book recently launched – the 'Children of Saba' – that tells the story of the Queen of Sheba and the ancient Kingdom of Meroe. It's had great reviews and been featured as one of the 'Best Fiction Books about Africa' by the Guardian Newspaper UK. Have a look – http://www.amazon.com/Children-Saba-The-Epic-Aphrike-ebook/dp/B00GKA1KJO. It really bring to life our magificent and glorious past! Only when we know where we've come from, shall we know where we're going!'

Trackbacks