DDM is seeking motivated, energetic, creative, and aggressive news reporters to join the #1 Black-owned digital news source in the nation. Our digital media property Atlanta Black Star is looking for rock stars to help us grow to #1 in the world!
The ideal candidate must have a passion for entertainment and celebrity news with a keen ability to discover content before it becomes news. Bring your wit and ingenuity to package stories in a light-hearted, fun and engaging manner.
Freelance, part-time and full-time opportunities are available.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates with editors to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Conduct interviews with prominent influencers and celebrities in person (on or off camera), by phone or via email
- Constantly tracking celebrity and entertainment content day and night
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure
- Zealously develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
- Regularly plans, gathers, and pitches day-to-day stories or special project assignments
- Report breaking news, write quickly and precisely
- Complete breaking news and aggregated content via video snippets
- Pay attention to content performance and digital trends on a daily basis to constantly adjust pitching strategy and packaging
- Utilize CMS tools, strategically select photos and videos to optimize all written content for maximum engagement, affiliate revenue, reader retention, and shareability
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- BA in English or Journalism preferred or equivalent in experience.
- At least 2-3 years of experience creating celebrity and lifestyle content, preferably at a digital-first outlet
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and, when warranted, manage and juggle multiple stories simultaneously
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Knowledge of AP stylebook a plus
- Must have strong skills in communicating and collaborating with editors and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover compelling stories
- A self-starter with a great work ethic and a can-do attitude.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Knowledge of SEO and best practices for optimizing content for the web
- Deadline-driven, strategic thinker with a strong service journalism sensibility and a knack for crafting click-y headlines
- Producing multimedia, and/or knowledge of video- or photo-editing platforms and software a plus
- Experience in an on-air role, field reporting a plus
- Ability to develop and effectively pitch story ideas
- A conversational, engaging delivery with or without a script
- Ability to make copy fun and engaging
- Strong or unique social media presence a plus
- Comfort with using social media to gather news and promote content
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours
Send all resumes to [email protected]