DDM is seeking a motivated, energetic, and creative Entertainment Writer/Reporter for AtlantaBlackStar.com. The ideal candidate must have a passion for entertainment and celebrity news with a keen ability to discover content before it becomes news.
The candidate will possess a strong command of the entertainment news landscape. The person in this role will cover breaking news, repackage social media content, pitch enterprise stories while seamlessly combining their knowledge to create light-hearted, fun, engaging content.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates with editors to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Conduct interviews in person (on or off camera), by phone or via email
- Constantly tracking celebrity and entertainment content day and night
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure
- Zealously develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
- Regularly plans, gathers, and pitches day-to-day stories or special project assignments
- Report breaking news, write quickly and precisely
- Complete breaking news and aggregated content via video snippets
- Pay attention to content performance and digital trends on a daily basis to constantly adjust pitching strategy and packaging
- Utilize CMS tools, strategically select photos and videos to optimize all written content for maximum engagement, affiliate revenue, reader retention, and shareability
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- BA in English or Journalism preferred or equivalent in experience.
- At least 2-3 years of experience creating celebrity and lifestyle content, preferably at a digital-first outlet
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and, when warranted, manage and juggle multiple stories simultaneously
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standard
- Knowledge of AP stylebook a plus
- Must have strong skills in communicating and collaborating with editors and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover compelling stories
- A self-starter with a great work ethic and a can-do attitude.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Knowledge of SEO and best practices for optimizing content for the web
- Deadline-driven, strategic thinker with a strong service journalism sensibility and a knack for crafting click-y headlines
- Producing multimedia, and/or knowledge of video- or photo-editing platforms and software a plus
- Experience in an on-air role, field reporting a plus
- Ability to develop and effectively pitch story ideas
- A conversational, engaging delivery with or without a script
- Ability to make copy fun and engaging
- Strong or unique social media presence a plus
- Comfort with using social media to gather news and promote content
- Ability to work flexible and irregular hours
Competitive salary + benefits
Send all resumes to [email protected]