Careers at Atlanta Black Star
General News Reporter (Remote)
We are seeking a motivated, energetic, creative, and aggressive general assignment news reporter who can think and perform outside the box from any of these 10 major markets: NYC, ATLANTA, CHICAGO, DC, LOS ANGELES, HOUSTON, DALLAS, PHILADELPHIA, DETROIT, CHARLOTTE.
The candidate should be able to develop daily story ideas and gather information for coverage within their respective market. The candidate must have the ability to mold a local story idea into something that can appeal to a national audience. Write cleanly and fast on deadlines, with a great work ethic, and a can-do attitude.
A successful candidate will be expected to break significant news, offer sharp analysis on broad themes, and smart enterprise on a regular basis.
The primary coverage will be topics that have a direct impact on the African-American community and others of African descent within politics, education, city government, business, arts, and culture. The schedule includes evening and/or weekend work.
Applications should include a resume, cover letter, and up to four published clips.
Job Duties :
- Identify social trends that provide readers with an understanding of residents’ lifestyles, politics, and community values.
- Generate unique profiles that spotlight individuals who illustrate the richness and diversity of their communities.
- Establish a large network of community contacts in order to ensure awareness of those issues that resonate with our audience. It will be this reporter’s responsibility to capture those conversations for our platforms.
- Must be able to produce clean, organized publication-ready content with a minimum of supervision.
Additional Requirements :
- Displays a clear ability to develop strong, reader-focused story ideas and write about complex concepts with clarity and authority.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and, when warranted, manage and juggle multiple stories simultaneously.
- Must have strong skills in communicating and collaborating with editors and colleagues.
- Capacity to shoot own photographs when needed.
- Work samples or portfolio must be submitted with the application in order to be considered for this position.
Part-time Copy Editor (remote or Atlanta)
We are looking for a talented, experienced copy editor who can handle a fast-paced work environment with a regular flow of stories throughout the day
Copy Editor’s responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Adhering to AP Style Guide, fixing any grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors including names, places and organizations.
- Fact check: dates, events, statistics, and more.
- Write and edit headlines.
- Make sure that the flow and tone of each copy is in adherence with Atlanta Black Star’s Manifesto (http://atlantablackstar.com/about-us/).
- Always seeking ways to make each copy and headline more compelling
- Provides clear and concise feedback to writers.
- At least a BA in Journalism or related field (i.e. English, communications)\
- Have a working knowledge of African-American History and World History.
- Candidate should be well-versed in the AP stylebook,
- Candidate should have a working knowledge of WordPress
- At least 3 to 5 years in a newsroom or similar environment
- At least 2 years spent on a copy desk or as an editor with line editing responsibilities
Provide us with your resume and writing samples where applicable to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check back frequently to see about general openings at AtlantaBlackStar.com.