Translate »
Sunday, December 21st, 2014

First Black Miss Israel Admits Racism is a Problem in Israel

miss israelWASHINGTON, D.C. — The first Black woman to win the crown of Miss Israel says she believes the country has real problems with its treatment of refugees and immigrants from Africa, but that the situation is improving.

“I’m not ashamed to say that there is racism in Israel; it’s a problem, but it’s a problem that Israel is working on and it’s something that Israel is trying to fix and it’s actually improving,” Yityish “Titi” Aynaw, 22, told BuzzFeed in an interview at the lobby of Washington, D.C.’s Palomar Hotel.

“I don’t feel the racism, me, exactly,” Aynaw said. “But my family feels it sometimes.”

Aynaw is in the United States this week by invitation of the Israeli Embassy. She traveled first to New York and then to Washington, where she met with members of the city’s large Ethiopian community. She also played basketball with members of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Aynaw made headlines last year as the first Ethiopian-born woman to win the Miss Israel pageant. She attended a state dinner last year in Jerusalem and met President Barack Obama, who she says is her role model.

Aynaw came to Israel at age 12 after the deaths of both her parents, to live with her grandmother. Many Ethiopians have settled in Israel over the last 30 years as part of the Israeli government’s programs to bring them over, including two major operations in the 1980s and 1990s that brought over thousands of Ethiopian Jews to Israel.

“I came to Netanya to live with my grandmother and I went to regular class in high school,” Aynaw said. “I just went to regular class and I was integrated with everyone.”

Aynaw, who went on to serve as a commander in the army after high school, said she believes integration is also a matter of choice on the part of immigrants.

Israel’s Ethiopian community in particular has often complained that they have been the target of racist Israeli government policies. Long-standing rumors that Ethiopian women were being sterilized without consent were partially confirmed in 2013, when Israel’s health ministry admitted that doctors may have been injecting newly arrived Ethiopian female immigrants with the contraceptive Depo-Provera, without explaining what the contraceptive was.

And in December 2013, an Israeli-Ethiopian legislator made waves when she revealed that the Israeli Red Cross would not let her donate blood because she was born in Ethiopia.

From 2006 to 2013, tens of thousands of African migrants and refugees streamed through Israel’s porous border with Egypt, most of them from Sudan and Eritrea. The construction of a fence along the Israeli-Egyptian border stemmed the tide of new African migrants, and those remaining have been offered incentive packages to be returned to African countries, or given the option of going to a detention facility in Israel’s south.

Last month, massive protests by African nationals in Israel seeking refugee status filled the country’s largest cities, while organizations including Amnesty International and the United Nations criticized Israel’s current policies toward African migrants. The government says many of the asylum seekers are simply seeking a better economic situation and are not legitimate refugees — a stance that Aynaw shares.

Read the full story at buzzfeed.com

Comments

1. Lords Property says:

One God one Love ,human race we are here on borrowed time and still judge our people!Race is a disease that is passed down from generations ,down!

2. That was awful how they sterilized the Ethiopian women. Haven't they learned their lesson of what Hitler did to their women? And now they're still crying about what Hitler did to them, but yet they're doing the same thing to the Africans. What goes around will come around.

3. A detention facility in Israel? What the hell next, are some Israeli soldiers going to run down to Argentina to live and hide out protected by the Argentinian government?

4. Hampy Hamp says:

I guess the parting of the sea isn't working for these colored Jews.

5. Errol Cooper says:

You right! they hid the Nazi in South America while this corrupt gov. paid them Social Security! the devil always watch over his demons!

6. Errol Cooper says:

Oh! my brother they want to part us from this earth. even though their blood and life force comes from us! They know this to be true!

7. Errol Cooper says:

Gotta remember during the Exodus from Egypt, Some of the oppressed people minds were filled with distorted view about from which they fled. they actually thought their life was better being oppress?? go figure

8. Errol Cooper says:

It's a curse that is told of from centuries ago about How God has punished us for choosing mans law over his law! we're just witnessing the madness of that decision!

9. Dorthe Allen says:

“If you feel like you’re going to be segregated then you end up being segregated, but if you feel like you’re going to be part of the society then you’ll be accepted,” she said. Miss Israel sounds like she has had a priveleged 'integration' to Israel, she is one in a million who enjoys special treatment. It is a bit like the house slave who is given priveleges and an easier life than the field slaves. She should open her eyes to those in her community who are not accepted, despite their desire to belong and be part of their society. I bet she was never refused a rental property based on the colour of her skin, unlike the majority, and that's ofcourse just one example of the daily racism that 'normal' africans face in the 'democratic' state of Israel.

10. They are not real Jews Revelation 2:9 and 3:9 explains what they are, and they will soon be our foot stools they stole our inheritance and lied about being the chosen people of God. The way they act? Please their God is Satan They are Khazars, not Israelis we are the ones that the Most High chose to be his special people not them and soon everyone will know and they will bow down at our feet.

11. so thats what you want in life ; for people to bow down at your feet ? good luck

12. Not people, but the fake behind Jews who stole our inheritance, called us bywords like Black, Colored, the N word, Spooks, African American Etc.

13. Ava Monroe inheritance ? were you expecting some riches somewhere ?

14. I will inherit all the riches and glory from the Most High God know that I know I am one of his chosen beloved people, I don't care about earthly riches anymore now that I know I am a special child of the Most High God, I'm angry that I didn't know about this sooner, and I very angry that those so called Jews claimed that they are the chosen people

15. I believe this says it all.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxv4Aff3IA