Translate »
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014

8 of the Worst Countries For Black People to Travel

italy_protest_01_wide-739bfcbd73dcf89e23c2c18780a63fff6e118dcf-s40-c85

Italy

The world is not yet colorblind, and Italy is no exception. Anyone not noticeably of European descent will likely be looked down upon by Italians. Oftentimes a darker-skinned tourist will only have to deal with imposing stares, however; some Black women report a rather high incidence of gawking that leads to inquiries for prostitution.

While physical violence is not commonly practiced against Black tourists in Italy, biased ill-treatment of Black visitors can run rampant. A dark-skinned traveler may be questioned longer at border crossings and on trains, and his baggage may be rifled through by officials more often than those of white travelers. Sometimes hotels may tell Black tourists they are full for the night, and then give a room to the next white person who walks through the door. A Black traveler may also be a more frequent victim of ripoffs and scams, as is true for all foreigners.

racist-thailand-sign

Thailand

Many people of color who have lived in Thailand can attest to the problematic racial attitudes commonplace in the country. Thais have an aversion to dark skin in general, and are prejudiced against people of African descent or anyone who has a darker skin tone, even among themselves. Black people frequently face discrimination in the workplace and are targeted for scrutiny from police. According to some travelers, it is legal there to discriminate on the basis of skin color or ethnicity.

In 2010, while visiting Thailand for a series of music performances, Ribkat, a well-known member of the multi-platinum selling group Fort Minor, and Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park were notified by a hotel manager that they did not allow Blacks or Indians at their hotel. Ribkat and Shinoda, who are both African-Americans, were told they should respect the racist policy and leave. The white band members were told they could stay. The policy to exclude Blacks and other foreigners can also be seen implemented by some local businesses.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Comments

1. Keep this in mind when traveling abroad

2. AND DONT FORGET POLAND TOO.

3. Andres Sanchez Lañon says:

And don't forget USA too..

4. i been to all of them and its soo true but the worst is Italy.

5. Some of these places I wouldn't care to travel. It's ironic, those same problem people may be able to travel to the states without having difficulty like I might have in their country. I think I'll just see the good ole USA! My country!

6. Barbara Anne says:

After reading this, I feel as though we can't travel anywhere…

7. Mimi Love says:

This is very informative findings, thank you for sharing…

8. Sometimes i think this is the wrong Planet for Black people! I'm from Austria and here is the same. I'm not black but Human! And i cant understand why white people hate so much their victims? Whats the problem? I believe the most white people are sick! Hate hate hate and hate, they only can hate!!! A shame! We have 2014 it is enough!!!

9. Colleen Nedd says:

this doesn't shock me, I'm sure there are places in Africa and hoods in the US where they (white folks) can't show their faces and expect to get out with out being harmed too ;)

10. And you'll have police quickly come yo defend them, and are you saying why can't white people travel to dangerous places

11. Colleen Nedd says:

oh they can if they have a black pass ;)

12. Colleen Nedd says:

same here no interest in ever going to these places. I'd venture into London, Spain, and maybe Italy or France

13. Colleen Nedd Please stop

14. Rodney Scott says:

How many of you people even have passports? Don't believe everything on the net. Oh…I am a french model by the way!!

15. okay i get it.. everyone hates black people. so what's new?…moving on

16. I have asked about Black Russians and Germans ? Do they exist?? Been looking for 30year soooo this answer my question!

17. Marcus Williams says:

White Supremacy/Racism is Worldwide. The European forced our ancestors to hate themselvesves so they wouldn't stick together or trust each other. The biggest threat to White Supremacy is Black/African Nationalism. Globally, we are not the minority.

18. Mark Mosley says:

Did you see the Dennis Rodman interview? Yes, you are right but some of it is white male jealousy!

19. I have been living in Europe for over 20 years as a Black American and have lived or worked in most of these countries listed as a Music Promoter and never have I encountered any prejudice outside of curiousness of my background, even from skinheads.. So violent are these European countries not.. Oh one exception (foosball/soccer) but then they hate every opposite team (not all), but riots at games does happen throughout Europe…

20. Colleen Nedd Spain and italy were mentioned.

21. Hope Lock says:

YEP…that;s right…let us not forget the USA

22. Raina Moore Alleyne says:

Colleen Nedd you do know that Spain and Italy were on the list? Right?

23. Hope Lock says:

Where is the USA on that list…it is scary there too for black folk…or are people just so used to it now…hmmmm

24. …Mike Shinoda is half Japanese…. Anyhow, black people going to Thailand-I've heard a few stories regarding that country. I guess ignorance is NOT bliss.

25. Smdh Not one of these countries surprised me…..some of the desce

26. Hope Lock says:

spot on..Rodney…

27. Raina Moore Alleyne I know this has nothing to do with the article but you are Gorgeous!

28. Anonymous says:

I detest articles like this. For China you can say the same about being a tall blonde or red head. While I am not going to say racism does not exist, it does, but what if people took instances of cops shooting black men in America….or gun violence? There is a difference between ignorance, in the purest sense of just not knowing, insensitivity and flat out racism. American history is our history and there are things we can see that affect us because of our history. One thing I learned about Europeans some years back is that they play on each countries stereotypes.

29. This isn't really surprising. I'm surprise the U.S.A didn't make the list :)

30. I am an American living abroad…I have a passport and I have visited some of the places listed. Your comment was very rude.

31. Austin D. Williams says:

As black people we have so many reasons to hate and yet all I see are insecure, sad little people in need of attention…. I feel pity for them!

32. maybe we should invite the writer of this article to germany and show him the country, maybe then he will change his attitude. btw. more than 500000 foreigner live in berlin and almost 10% are americans. its sad, that ppl still talking bad about this country…at least weapons are illegal and we dont shoot each other for no reason…

33. Well said brother, But these places are not as bad as the article says.. I have been to most of these countries and these are fringe groups and small in number.

34. Rodney Scott says:

TheNappyHairproject it is not being rude it is the truth! America is always printing up bullshit trying to keep people from traveling and exploring. Do you know how many people are leaving this country or have left lately? Google it. All the stuff they are saying here happens in the USA .Racism is everywhere, jackasses are evereywhere. The things they mention here are not right out in your face. I travel and most of the things the US print is BS. You can go to these places and enjoy yourself. .Trust me I know.

35. Hope Lock says:

now that is some truth

36. I'll just stick to Africa. When I was in my 20s, I so wanted to visit Europe and backpack and all that crap, but as I get older, not so much. Europe seems like all hype anyway.

37. Myke Reborn IKR, he or she probably will never want to leave, like most of the musicians that come here…

38. Rodney Scott says:

Well said Art! Travel people!! Dont let America mentally enslave you!!

39. I've been living in Berlin for 9 years and while I haven't experienced violent racism, I can't say that what this article says about Germany and Spain is completely wrong. The article below actually happened to a guy I personally know:

40. Danius Jackson says:

Please watch a Movie called "Hidden Colors" and you will see how Blacks have contributed to these societies which are the backbone of for their existence today. From Europe, Asia, and Australia there is evidence and contributions from the Blackman! Hell Europe would not exist today if it was not for the Blackman showing them how maintain their livestock? Remember the “black plaque” and the other diseases that have developed from them living among the swine and cattle? Another small example are the Buddha statues-Where do you think that texture of their hair comes from? There are notches and bumps in these statues which represents the texture of a Blackman’s hair. Asians have straight hair so it should be straight, but it is not. Historians have tried to eliminate the contributions from Blacks in every way possible, but there is evidence in every continent on the earth. Check out the movies for more details.

41. Hope Lock says:

as a black person not living in the USA, I find the USA quite scary for black folk…..

42. Surge Jah says:

just because am black.

43. Halva A Hansen says:

I am ex-military and I been to all these countries except Russia, China and Korea. I can only tell what I experience. This story those have some merit. Even though Rome was cool and problem free, Italy was the worst. No violent shit but they were the most vocal and gave me the worst customer service.

44. the question it's what have black people ever done to these other countries to deserve all different kinds of hatred…the last time I check it has been the European nations conquering and destroying stealing and raping most countries in the world

45. A.j. Bonelli says:

This article is misleading as there are ignorant people all over the world…I am sure none of those countries are worse than what you would experience here in the USA from the bigots, and penis envy white men who think you will take their women away, and white women who want to act like they dont like you in public but want to try Black loving behind closed doors….

46. Colleen Nedd Do you know much of so called black people's history is in Spain? The article is idiotic, travel and see it for yourself.

47. this is so depressing. all of these beautiful inspiring countries have such a hatred for people of color for absolutely no reason, and one of them has the audacity to make their racism legal? the more the human race evolves, the more hatred and unjustified violence becomes a common reality.

48. i know right, no where except Africa it seems, and its bad there too.

49. George Ada says:

I think germany is one of the most friendly country in the world compare to the USA where the african americans are still figting for recognition, WHAT A SHAME.

50. Jamal Young says:

Brazil from what I read hates black people & Dominican Republic should be added.But I'm sure those same country's are embraced when they travel to the Caribbean or Africa.

51. Jamal Young says:

They more then likely have had no contact with black people but hate us because of the British and Spainards.

52. Sandie Abel says:

"You people"??????

53. Kadra Ali says:

Racism exists everywhere u go!!! However personally I've been to some of these places (Greece, Germany and Italy) and I've not had any problems whatsoever… No stares, rude or ignorant remarks. I also have a friend who works in South Korea and absolutely loves the place and people… And another friend who worked in Thailand for six months then travelled Thailand and Vietnam. Both black and never experienced any issues!

From experience though I'd include most Arab countries though.

54. I have been to some of these so-called worst countries for Black People. Yes, I've experienced curiosities about my skin color, the changing textures of my hair, and other things. However, I didn't view it as racist experiences. The first time it happened I was in a train station in South Korea. Throngs of people came to touch my skin and hair. It was a bit unnerving but I didn't feel fear. In time, I learned bits of their language, customs and courtesies to successfully engage with them. Unlike others in my group, I didn't expect them to speak English in their homeland. Although, I was pleasantly surprised when they did speak English to me. When I got the words wrong they helped me get it right without ridicule. They appreciated the fact that I was trying to learn their ways. I even watched their movies – to test my levels of understanding of their culture. I began to share my cooking with them and they did the same with me. I didn't look for inferior treatment and it rarely found me. Maybe it was my unoffensive love of myself that showed. Many of them came to love me, too.

I will end by saying, I understand nothing in this world is absolute but these were my own experiences. I could've been paralyzed with fear and missed out on all these joys if I allowed others to shape my thoughts. Experience life and other countries for yourself – people! .

55. It's time for you black people to wake up and separate from all these nations. They don't like us. We've been in La-La Land tryna integrate for 100s of years now and this shit don't work. WAKE UP!!!!

56. I call bullshit on 90% of these locations. GET a passport..discover the world. THE US isn't on this list..".curiouso" at the very least.
    I am always having to explain American stupidities and prejudices to Europeans who don't understand why in the"land of the free", black people are still suspects before they are even accused.This was poorly researched.

57. Asians have nerve. Especially since THEY ARE PART OF OUR DIASPORA!!!!!! They just don't have the melanin. THATS IT THEIR ALL JEALOUS OF OUR MELANIN!!!!!

58. Tom Bruize says:

Rodney Scott You suggested people not believe everything on the internet, and then you implore people to "Google" something? Hmmmmm?

59. Tom Bruize says:

Raina Moore Alleyne LOL

60. Oduwa Khumalo-Amen says:

I can't believe that Trinidad and Tobago didn't make the list. For Jamaicans visiting there it is just as bad.

61. Thanks Brather for the Documentary reference…going to track it down!

62. I have been to all those countries listed with no problem the worst place where I feared for my live was in my home country South Africa, one of my friends came from Zimbabwe the blacks there killed him in front of me, I had to explain to them that I South African

63. I will never go any place we not wanted! I know how those people operate.

64. Rodney Scott Hear Cheer! Folks really need to experience LIFE! There's plenty of positive experiences out here. I'm another lifted voice for travel outside the US!

65. Rodney Scott Hear Cheer! Folks really need to experience LIFE! There's plenty of positive experiences out here. I'm another lifted voice for travel outside the US!

66. Brian Reid says:

Comes as no surprise about the Koreans. Look at the attitude that give once you enter their place of business.

67. I lived in Germany 8 years. Never had problems of race period. Not one time in 8 years and I lived with a German woman.

68. you couple guys blew me or exactly right. the US is worse. my wife and I were stationed in Germany, and we loved it. and we both agree this is where we experience the least racism, and felt more comfortable as a mixed couple as we saw more mixed couples there. and she loves Berlin and she even wants to take me there. she's black. just like any country in the entire world there are places where you may not want to go. as a white dude I might want to be careful going to certain neighborhoods in LA or Brooklyn. as a person of color you might want to be careful going to certain places in Alabama or Georgia. and let's not forget there are places where officers not only ignore the participate in races activity in the US. this report is completely misleading, and I have a feeling that they have never been to Germany.as a white guy i experience more racism in South Carolina with non-stop stereotypes. my wife and I are very cultured and we have deployed and have been station all over the world, take it from us, it is an awesome country to visit. we honestly feel safer there than coming back to the States

69. I meant below me, stupid speak to text

70. I know what he or she said about Thailand could not be more TRUE! and plenty of thais are darker than me!

71. in addition it is literally illegal for anybody to participate in Nazi parties because of World War 2. whereas in the states you can go ahead and participate in this terrorist group

72. I have one and use it often! But because you are a french model i will just agree with everything you say… by the way!!

73. I have one and use it often! But because you are a french model i will just agree with everything you say… by the way!!

74. but you do make a great point about the U.S not wanting black people to travel. I fully concur.

75. This was a great read , thanks . What people have to understand is that propaganda is not only a tool used by the power structor its a weapon ; a very dangerous weapon , it can change a persons perception and views down to the core . people need to get out and see the world for them selves .. its ok to leave people "wees free" now ..lol

76. That's because of all the drug dealers from the states and certain islands bringing drugs and violence.When american prisons strated deporting criminals back to the carribean.

77. Mike Shinoda is half white-half japanese, is the rapper from Linkin Park and Fort Minor be careful people !!!!!!

78. Oduwa Khumalo-Amen says:

What does that have to do with discrimination against Jamaicans in Trinidad and Tobago?

79. there are tons of afrogermans and other black groups living in Germany, not all is so bad there

80. There are more blacks in Brazil than america and the percentage is bigger like 45% black brazilian or mixed as they say.Are there racial issues yes !Now the Dominican republic is a black country that don't know there black the colonialist mind is real deep

81. Alicia Randall says:

Trinidad is a multicultured society,don't see your reference to this..

82. IN MY OPINION,WE ALREADY KNOW THE RACIST EXIST..
    BUT IT'S OLD..HELL,WALK DOWN THE STREETS OF AMERIKKKA….ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS KOUNTRIES for a PERSON OF COLOR..
    WE HAVE TO WORK ON UNITY AMONG OURSELVES…. THEN WE CAN EFFECTIVELY COMBAT OUTSIDE TERRORIST ATTACKS AGAINST OUR COMMUNITY!!

83. Marc Anthony says:

the gist of it is, that you can't travel anywhere in the world without having some difficulties and misunderstandings. I been told before that germany is a great place for black men. I don't know, but eventually I want to experience it for myself as well as all of the other
    cultures around the world.

84. Monkeyy Slapperr says:

Why do yall keep walking around with your slave master name? Are you still his property? Why do you have a white last name?

85. Monkeyy Slapperr says:

I find it amusing how blacks complain about whites and yet, they keep walking around with white names. Don't they have no shame? lol

86. Rob Conyer says:

Craig Hewitt… I do not say this be insulting… But please know that darker skinned people may have a different experience compared to you. I lived in Germany and they detest darker skinned black men. And they treat dark skinned woman as if they only think about sex 24/7. As far as Italy is concerned…. well…. Let's just say they don't take kindly to dark skinned men either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaDmOZkJ6s0

87. Rob Conyer says:

88. David Blackwell says:

The worst racism I have ever witnessed is in the U.S.A. and sub-saharan africa.
    the U.S.A. speaks for itself, but the african version is black on black, tribe on tribe. And slavery is still practiced in modern africa as it was 2,3,4,5000 years ago before European man was ever mobile enough to travel that far.
    As for Germany ? I would 100% agree that what was the old East Germany is rife with racism.
    However, if these are the worst countries, what are the best ? It really does beg the question.

89. David Blackwell says:

The worst racism I have ever witnessed is in the U.S.A. and sub-saharan africa.

90. Colleen Nedd says:

Bruns Michelle Chill out man

91. basically any place where the majority of the population is pale and straight haired…

92. Im not surprised. Any place that don't have Niggaz. Im not going there

93. David Blackwell says:

Very well said sir. I am white, English and well travelled. I have been to every country in th EU, most of west and southern africa, the middle east, most os south east asia and many many holidays in the USA. visiting mostly African American friends.I can assure you that sub-saharan africa and the USA are by far the most racist places to live what ever race one happens to be. Thank you for an educated response on a subject that often produces a knee-jerk reaction.

94. David Blackwell says:

Good question. Last I heard, percentage wise, the USA had the lowest passport ownership in the developed world and was lagging behind much of the emerging economies.

95. Willie Townes says:

The United States have more black people locked up than the rest of the world COMBINED…. Black people represent 14 % of the total population but 50% of the prison population! 50% of all black males wil be arrested by the police in the United States by the time there 23….. This is some hog wash to keep you here to continue to fill there prisons!

96. What about Israel and Saudi Arabia…unlike most of the countries you' be mentioned people of African descent are being attacked daily on thestreets by gangs of good citizens

97. What about Israel and Saudi Arabia…unlike most of the countries you' be mentioned people of African descent are being attacked daily on thestreets by gangs of good citizens

98. Damn they don't want a nigga anywhere.

99. David Blackwell says:

Thank you sir, the voice of common sense.

100. David Blackwell says:

Thank you sir, the voice of common sense.

101. David Blackwell says:

As a Briton, please can you explain what you mean by, "play on each countries stereotypes"
    Most european countries have a rather facetious sense of humour. But that I not playing on stereotypes, it is called "light hearted micky taking"

102. David Blackwell says:

In africa criminals don't often survive prison. Murder, disease, malnutrition all take their toll. And if the crime is considered heinous enough, the criminal faces virtual "summary execution"

103. Shantella Sherman says:

How asinine and offensive is this "article!" Black skin is despised the world over and just as America is full of racist bigots and white supremacists, so is the rest of the world. I am an international traveler and the ONLY time I have ever been overtly discriminated against and called "nigger' was right here, at home, in Washington, D.C. To base travel advice on anything other than incidents of discrimination against African American travelers or reports of hate crimes against tourists is not only poor journalism, but also faulty logic.

104. David Blackwell says:

Well said

105. Rodney Scott says:

The USA does not want you to know whats out there. You go to that government site and they warn you about these countries. .lol and you go there and its all good. You were born with common sense but some dobt use it. Never let your guard down anywhere, Hell, I am scared to go to Chicago and I travel to a third world country every 3 months. I belong to a black travel group with over 2k open minded people and we share stories of our experiences daily online. As a matter of fact I had 2 friends that visit Germany frequently and they just cant stay away. This article is a straight up scare tactic.

106. Nikki West says:

Lmao. ITALY? GREECE? THAILAND? don't they know where their historically Dark complexions come from? How dreadful.

107. Nikki West says:

Oh yeah Spain too!!!! Yeah their black, please, someone they need to be reminded. Smh.

108. David Blackwell says:

Jacob, sorry to hear this. But as a South African, living in a predominantly black, multicultural country, you must see or hear of this type of occurance quit often.
    On my last visit to Cape Town, there were some deaths on the beach at Strandfontaine, where "Local" people attacked some visitors from Congo

109. Hines Derrick Andrew

Don't forget part 2

110. Rob Conyer No offense taken. Just speaking to what I experienced. I can't speak to what you or anyone else experienced. Keep in mind though that this article was about traveling to different places, not necessarily living there. I just traveled to Germany and Italy, I didn't live there and freely admit that those are two totally different things. But since the article was about traveling I feel my experience was relevant. I just think people need to go out an experience different countries without being afraid. Also, as I mentioned, the US has plenty of problems with race as well. For a black person living in Europe they might look at the news and see that in Florida black people can be killed and the killer walks away free legally and conclude that the US is too dangerous to travel too.

111. David Blackwell says:

In the end, we ALL came from Africa somewhere around 100,00 years ago. Our differences are all about environmental adaption, nutrition, climate, etc
    Hell I never ever had a problem with race. If somebody is an arse, they are an arse and race doesn't even make the small print !!

112. Pipes B. Thanks…I just pickUp both!

113. Friend Runoko Rahsidi on Facebook,, or read anything he has written, and you will find evidence to underscore your assertions, Danius. Ivan Van Sertima is another author to read. Probably you are familiar with them. I am just mentioning them here for people who may not be familiar with their work.

114. David Blackwell says:

May I suggest you get a passport, and do some serious travelling before making a remark like that. The African American people who have done that and posted their PERSONAL findings here are the ones who have my vote.

115. Myke, have you read about the Black Holocaust that was performed by Germans on Black people in Africa and in Germany in the earlier part of the 20th century and during WW II? Just like there is still left-over anti-Semitism there, there is also racism. I have never bee there, so I can't say I have experienced it, but it makes sense that something in the culture gave rise to it, just like something on this side of the ocean did, and it is alive and well on various levels, in both places.

116. David Blackwell says:

Probably because it was written by an African American about visiting OTHER countries.
    I have done an enormous amout of world travel, and the USA is by far the most racist country I have ever visited, irrespective of colour. I still visit regularly to see friends and relatives of many races.

117. In New York, in places like Times Square and Lincoln Center, where there are an abundance of tourists for other countries, every now and then you can notice very hateful stares and behaviors towards Black people. While rudeness is not uncommon in New York, their brand of it does sometimes stand out. It may be that they are carrying attitudes from their homelands.

118. Andrew Douglas says:

Stop patroizing all these countries

119. David Blackwell i am not saying that all countries with those sort of people are racist. racism is everywhere… but based on the countries listed… we are basically finding that blacks tend to have increased problems in areas that are most unfamiliar with their physical traits (darker skinned curly/kinky hair). Much of it is out of unfamiliarity more so than straight up racism. My comment is in no way to say that countries with pale skinned straight haired people are racist against blacks. i will say however that when you are a minority in a country where your culture or physical differences are not common, issues can occur not only from racism, but out of ignorance, or pure curiosity. its not to say it still isnt uncomfortable at times for blacks(or anyone who is the minority for that matter ) to feel uneasy.

120. Milo Daemgen says:

Yea. This article is ridiculous. Go into any country and you will find parts, and I repeat parts, that are inhospitable, violent, and racist against Black people/minorities. USA included. By focusing on these parts to define an entire nation is really backward thinking and is the definition of stereotyping.

121. David Blackwell i may have said it in a blunt/crude way that i see now can be taken many ways.

122. Patrick Alexandre says:

I can not believe that someone took the time to right such a ridiculous article. It is unbelievable that this type of nonsense is published. When I see these types of meaningless articles I wonder what was your intention. Well as I sat back and reflected it is to get a rise out of people who at the core are proud and brilliant. Stop trying to put hate into the world and the mind of the Black men and women that helped build all these countries.

123. Marcus Smith says:

Craig, you make a great point. Travel and see the world and don't let fear keep your mind closed to the wonders of our world, its not perfect but what is?

124. David Blackwell says:

LaNell Tw, please accept my apologies, if I came accross as a little blut there. I most of western europe race is not an issue. There are relatively larbe numbers of ethnoc Africans in most larbe cities. It becomes more of a problem in China, Korea, amd some other east asian countries. But it is not an iSSUE of race, it is almost entirely curiosity, because ethnic Africans are so rare you become a talking point.
    I see you are a CT girl. In 1978 I visited friends in Hartford. They are a large and well respect family, with a very diverse mutli cultural pool or friends. As visitor from the UK, I spoke differently, dressed slightly differently, etc etc etc. I was the "talking poont", I had people willing to pay me just to talk so they could listen. Others wanted to take me to other family functions to "show me off". I am white english and spent 3months living of Blue Hills Avenue, which I am sure you will agree is hardly the natural habitat of an english 17 year old whote boy. However, I also spent a lot of time at S.A.N.D.S. and Belle View Squarewjere I was eben more of a novelty.
    Please don't accepent the word of others.Travel, see the world up close amd personal. Then make your mind up.
    You are very obviously a bright young woman. Push the boundries, see what tje world gives you back. :))

125. David Blackwell says:

126. Got to go back to the carribean, sharpen my machete, sit and wait for these bastards. The russians would get it first

127. Nikki West they don't give a s**** if they are dark skinned or dark haired, then they feel superior

128. Nikki West they don't give a s**** if they are dark skinned or dark haired, then they feel superior

129. Brazil have a lot of "niggaz" and there are racial issues there, weak response

130. Now I understand why many black americans don't travel, delirium of persecution is big on you, and as a black non-american man I understand your concern, for example, I've traveled to Peru and black people have issues there, but you can't limit your views and feelings just by the mere presence of white supremacist groups or bad personal experiences abroad, the best way to see a problem is confronting, go ahead, save some money, take your passports and travel, if there are some countries who are "the worst" for black folks, what are the best ?. Cheers from Colombia

131. Rob Conyer I was the first Black person to start an official concert agency in Germany and was not married to a German, nor am I at this stage of my life… I also with the first Americanto work on the US Army drawdown in Europe a German company whom had seen Concerts that I organized featuring different American Artists came up to me after a gig and asked would I assist them.. They stated that they had attended a few shows of mine and wanted that I would asist them with the undertaking of moving household goods from GI's, back to the Continental US, Korea, Japan, etc., I was the first Black man to receive a license from the Germans to continue to transport goods within Europe and or musical equipment.. I was also the first Black Man here to work with the President of Germany and his wife on the Cystric Foundation of Germany.. I never was destested…I always rep'ed the US, I felt I was an Ambassador to my country, whereas to carry my self in such a manner that i would be proud of my upbringing, not all people wether black, white, red, yellow, or green behind the ears are not bad.. As MLK stated long before, and i was just that judged by my character, not by my skin color…Sorry with my experience living here, I never had a problem with anyone since I have been in and living within Europe and I have been all over Europe 20 times or more due to my business…no offense please, different experiences for different people I would assume…

132. Hope Lock says:

Colleen Nedd someone needs to go travel and stop listening to propaganda…As a black person not living in the USA, I find the USA one seriously scary place for black folks…from innocent 15 year olds getting gunned down and the perpetrator getting away…and that is not even the tip of the iceberg….to a another taking 9 bullets …why for playing music too loud at a drive-in food stand and the perpetrator driving away after firing…and it goes on and on and on.

Every time I see a black person going on about how wonderful the USA is, I just sign..like wow..

I have travelled a fair bit, as well as lived in a few countries and the most racism I have experienced has always, always, always, been from some of the white USAmericans I have come across…always without exception…hmmm.

133. Rodney Scott Absolutely Correct!!!

134. Eric Logan says:

Didn't the writer say it was really bad for the "darker" black person than the Lenny Kravitz "colored" person? I'm curious as to how many "dark skinned" black people that actually had an OK or good experience when traveling to these "specific" places. The writer didn't say it happened everywhere but just in these specific locations (or rather the most obvious racism happened there). Some people that have commented didn't say if they were in fact "dark skinned" or "very Light"t or "almost white" in complexion. There are people here in America that are racist but will let the "light skinned" black people or "bi-racial" people pass in their book.

135. Paula Woods says:

Barbara, I've been to every continent and of the countries listed here I've been to Italy, Germany, Greece, Spain, and China. I was treated with nothing but respect in all of them. While true about the Chinese people being fascinated, when I was there in 2000 it wasn't about being rude, it was just they had truly never seen a black person so they were curious. I answered their questions, and got a couple of free meals and trinkets out it so I called it a win in my book. ;) Don't let this article scare you. The world is an amazing place and you should visit every part that you can if you have the opportunity.

136. ly Family High

137. Patra Ogbeyi Makoju says:

I'm thinking they should add London to this list too! Racism is gradually becoming a strong british culture.

138. Darvelle Levy says:

Tj Brown Have you been to Africa? You're putting the entire continent into a bubble when in fact, there are many "countries" on the continent. Africa is safe for us, but the sad part is that Chinese and other cultures have come in and taken over but we dare not do the same on their soil. Don't speak on what you obviously don't know. Africa is beautiful and prospering in many ways.

139. Paula Woods says:

I had a couple of issues in Peru in the small towns. I had an issue with both a train ticket attendant and also a guard who wouldn't let me on the train. As I stood in tears before the train was about to pull out, another worker saw me, ran and scooped me up and got me on the train while ignoring the guard. He was then extremely apologetic and very sweet. Word also got to a higher level supervisor who came and found me on my return train ride the next day, issued me a refund, and apologized profusely for the lack of professionalism of her employees. The girl who I originally dealt with about the ticket never made a comment but was extremely rude. But as I waited for the next train because she made me miss mine, the people of the village were very pleasant and embarrassed by her behavior. Peru does recognize that tourism drives their economy so they are not by any means trying to alienate black tourists at least. For those who live there though it may be a different story. I certainly hope not though because most of the people I met were great. I will say that Macchu Picchu is worth the hassle though. Our people have been through worse and considering the racism that occurs daily in this country, what happened here was a minor blip.

140. L Taj Lapierre says:

The racial divide is intentional to keep us distracted from the fact that brown people are 9/10th of the population and whites are only 1/10th. The largest conflicts are between brown people… I wonder why? So, whites can pillage. People, whites create issues–to keep us divided.

141. Barbara Anne says:

Paula Woods, thank you for your response. Although reading the article made me feel that way, I am still going to go where I want. It's just heartbreaking to know that we're fighting this monster called racism all over the globe and it's just a bit tiring.

142. Miller Helena says:

Very well spoken Queen….the unoffensive love of self..Love it!

143. Miller Helena says:

Very well spoken Queen….the unoffensive love of self..Love it!

144. Others say Koreans, over time, have adopted whites’ attitudes towards Blacks. wow of course

145. Miller Helena says:

Passport..Check.

146. Miller Helena says:

David Blackwell for real ?

147. Miller Helena says:

Tj Brown needs to be educated.

148. sure i did colleen, BUT we have 2014. what happen was the badest thing happened in historie, no doubt! and yes, there is racism, but in small circles like everywhere in the world. or do you think i (as a white guy)can visit the slums in johannesburg/south
    afrika or visit the fafelas in rio/brazil or compton/ca. without getting beat up or killed by black people? do u know what i mean? germany is a beautyfull country, everything is clean, foreigners are alway welcome…or why do u think are so many foreigners live in germany? pls do me one favour, pls kill that ww2 shit if u hear about germany in 2014. its sad, that americans mostly imagine a bad looking guy with a mustache if they think about germany. if i could i would invite u and your familie to visit me here for a week and i bet u would have a totally different point of view about germany. sorry, my english is a lil bit rusty, but i think u know what i mean….and if u wants to know more about germany u can pm me, no problem. btw…have u ever heard about moors( not sure if i spell it the right way)? pls check out youtube or google tl get more infos. i send u blessings from munich/germany …

149. Paula Woods True, look I have been in Peru twice, in 2009 and 2013, I love that country and Lima is a great city, besides they have good vibes with colombians, so that's an advantage. My point about black folks there is about afroperuvians, the majority of blacks there live in hard conditions, most of them are under line of poverty and sadly racial sterotypes and institutional racism are big there, Peru is a country where blacks are a minority, they don't even represent the 5% of the population, so that's a key aspect to understand why afroperuvians have some issues there. As tourist things may be different, the treatement was great in Lima and Cusco, people is charm and often a little shy or submissive, but also they have their biases, especially with blakc folks, for example many people thought that I was american, but when I started talking to them in Spanish they were really surprised,in that sense I think that they have a very limited view about black people in general and that can be a factor that contributes on their prejudices or concepts about us, anyways, I think you're right about the importance that they put on tourism, that is obviously an advantage for tourists from all over the world, hopefully, other countries such as those mentioned in this article learn some of it

150. Joseph Shakespeare says:

Do not the place we call home go old USA so it's nine to be correct

151. Miller Helena says:

No pass for Europeans..sorry…Power to the Peeps!

152. @ Juan Pablo Rivas. , suck the skin of a dick you pussy ass niggro

153. Malcolm Shabazz Hoover says:

MIke Shinoda is not African American. He is Hapa, half Japanese, half White.

154. Keyana Holland says:

I agree with you Rodney! While parts of this article may have happened, the author is making it seem like we shouldn't be traveling anywhere!! I've been to many of these countries and studied, and had no problems like this.
    Also, The mention about Mike Shinoda being black is not true.

155. Miller Helena says:

ALSO … TO KEEP US DISTRACTED.

156. David Blackwell says:

Really !!! Upon what do you base your comment ?

157. it's better that "niggaz" like you stay away from other countries, thanks for validating some points, Nicca !!!!

158. Miller Helena says:

THE ILLUSION OF INCLUSION…..DESEGREGATE..DUMB ASSES…

159. I think that people need to go out and see the world for themselves before making these kinds of judgements. I have at least one friend who's a black woman and lived in Italy for 10 years with no problem. She speaks fluent Italian and worked in a restaurant there as well as pursuing her career as an actress. I also speak Italian as it is my minor and I hope to travel there someday, as I hope to travel most of the world. The last thing black people need is to be fed propaganda. The only country on this list that I am wary of because of my own research is Russia. But not every country is Russia. A lot of the problems with Africans worldwide stem from the negative image that every one must be a refugee and looking for free handouts. We need to face the facts that our global image sucks…And a lot of that has to do with the reality of black people misbehaving worldwide, giving us all a bad name. There's also a harsh economic reality as well…Which is to say, maybe we shouldn't be putting African refugees into already economically failing or very poor countries (Most of these people aren't just brimming with hate…They have very real concerns that need to be addressed if we want Africans to have peace in those countries)…If we really want people to accept Africans, then putting them into countries that are already failing their own citizens is not the way. In any event, if you are a hardworking/industrious soul and if you speak the language of the country you are in or at least have very good manners regardless of language skills, i've heard it from most of my black friends who have been lucky enough to travel that you can survive anywhere.

160. Antwyaine Henry says:

And just how, did the USA slip past this list?

161. Alison Nash says:

Almost all of Pennsylvania outside of Philly/Pittsburgh, West Virginia, most of Kentucky, Western New York, Wyoming…

162. I must agree with u Scott, I had more problems in United States with race then I every had there.

163. I will go to every single 1 of these countries and fuck all of there women! just because i can! I DONT GIVE A FUCK BECAUSE YOU NOT GONNA PUT NO BOTTLE UP SIDE MY HEAD!
    Thailand racist? HA! Those dark lil black asians where the boys look as pretty as the girls ole fem asses! im going to thailand and im fucking some thai women! germany? fuck germany! ILL BEND A GERMAN WOMAN OVER AND Make her moan black power :D italy? yall just mad kuz u got arab and african blood in yall,greece? fuck greece i only wanna visit to fuck the women and enjoy the weather. Russia? NIGGA PLEASE! ILL GO THERE AND FUCK ME A TON OF RUSSIAN WOMEN! and kick it wit VLADIMIR PUTIN! CHINA DISLIKES BLACK PEOPLE? NIGGA PLEASE ILL BE THERE DOING KUNG FU WIT THE MONKS AND HAVING A 3SUM WIT SOME CHINESE LADIES AND VIDEO TAPING IT ON MY MACBOOK PRO :D IN CLOSING IMA GONNA GO WHERE I WANNA GO!

164. AnEntrepreneur Focussed says:

hmmm idk man i dont believe it fully to know people that are black thats traveled to most of these places even lived in some and had a wonderful welcoming time i cant find this accurate but i do think like the usa its some racist areas but thats global man even in africa some places african amaericans just can not go safely theyl kill their own just like in the usa

165. Rodney Scott says:

Just like they don't want us in Cuba, well I am sneaking in for my BDAY!! They paint castro as a bad man but they dont tell you the good things he has done and offered to black people (his grandmother was afro cuban) He has been allowing blacks to study to be Doctors there for years for free. Did you know that Cuba produce the best , the most elite doctors in the world? You study medicine in Cuba they will hire you anywhere in the freakin world in heartbea!! It really pissed me off when he offered to send ships of doctors to one of our hurricane disasters and The USA told him no!!

166. Myke Reborn Hey, Myke I really hope you are right about your observations. I really would like to visit Germany someday, as I have hosted several Germans in my own house here in Canada. And If you're serious when the time comes, I wouldn't mind you showing off the best of your country to me. After all I do love BMW, schnitzel, bratwurst and beerfests.

167. let's focus on some positives huh?! there's enough negative informaion out there, especially pertaining to black people, its pretty exhausting. there should be more positive reinforcement, such as great areas to travel to. were are a mixed couple and have been all over Europe and many Asian countries, and it is very educational to be cultured and that is what we should encourage, not discourage. Plus the stories you will have are always great to tell and pass down.

168. Phil Kizer says:

Coming from a military family, I've lived in Germany 3 times. The only time I experienced anything that resembled racism was on my 3rd time living there. This ONE Turkish kid (and I was told the Germans don't really like the Turks that live there) didn't like me for no reason I could think of so I assumed it was because I was black. But I could've been wrong about that. But the 1st time I ACTUALLY experienced racism was when we were living on an army base in Savannah, GA. I was walking around the neighborhood and white girl and her brother were visibly disturbed by my presence and the girl shouted "Get outta here, chocolate man!" I went home confused like "all this time I thought i was black, and it turns out, I'm made out of chocolate??" I explained to my mom what happened and she sat me down and taught me all about how some of the white population in America were raised to be hateful.

169. Phil Kizer says:

170. Lemuel Cyrus Yates says:

Not to nitpick, but Shinoda is white and japanese. Thailand isnt as bad as this makes it out to be. The others, I couldnt say because I don't know anyone that's been there, except for South Korea, and my boy has never had any issues there either.

171. Cherri Anne says:

I don't think people are giving this article a good read. Many of the instances of racism they're discussing here are things the average tourist probably won't be privy to – such as the workplace racism in Thailiand, or the racism in some of the inner-city neighborhoods in Eastern Germany. And some of the examples they mentioned in the article, any one of us could have experienced wouldn't even know- like being inaccurately told there are no vacancies in a hotel. I've traveled, even alone on one occasion, so I'm pretty fearless and wouldn't let this article deter me from visiting. And I travel au natural so there's no mistake of my ethnicity with my fro, lol. But I'm not naive. Once the honeymoon period is over or once you begin to venture into the outskirts of many of the metropolitan areas, you should expect to receive a different perspective sometimes.You get to see real life, which may or may not have some nasty little prejudices intertwined. I don't romanticize foreign countries. I expect to be treated with respect in my dealings, but that doesn't always mean that's going to trump a country's history, biases and ignorance. I think to pretend like you're going to always be immune to it is gullible. I will say that the article falls short in distinguishing some of the differences in experiences of Black Americans vs. non-American Blacks, or skin color because that can certainly impact your reception. Travel, don't be paranoid, relax, but don't be a fool.

172. Lorenzo Lawshea says:

Miller Helena Why are you so bitter? You are to the point where you are probably inventing the racism. Don't get me wrong, I know it exist, I've seen and experienced it. You are just listing all these things, but I don't believe you traveled enough to make these claims.

173. Ex Stewart says:

I have been to several asian countries, including China. And yes although I was a minority and got a lot of stares, I was never once treated disrespectfully or with any sort of hate – quite the opposite actually. Many USA states with a lack of 'Blacks' have been way worst in my past experiences. Some countries (ie China) just have not experienced ANY diversity that other countries are blessed with so I don't judge or take offence to their ignorance. Educate and elevate…one love.

174. Don't forget Philippines too.. There are lots of jokes about black people

175. Simon Philogene says:

And don't forget Britain, the police'll murder you and get away it

176. Rossell L Powell says:

Africa has all the things these countries have and more.All my tourist dollars will be spent in
    Africa or Carribean,No country on this list can compare too the continent of Africa.Why would I patronize cold weather countries black people are a warm weather species of people.

177. Kevin Poindexter says:

This article sucks and is written by a black racist. What is the author trying to stir up anyways? As a black person and an American, I'm offended.

178. Rob Conyer > I know why Italians don't treat dark skinned men kindly. They should have because History teaches us how Ethiopians punished them severely not once but twice during their attempt to colonize the fearless East African nation of Ethiopia. I'm sure, if not all, most Italian baby-boomers know how their fathers/grandfathers run with their tails between their legs and scurried home. For more info please read about "The Battle of Adwa". Thanks

179. I'm especially surprised they didn't bring up Israel. I mean, they sterilized the Africans living there for fuck sakes and even tried to have them deported for no other reason that their skin color! Even their government has openly talked about how Blacks are 'inferior'. It almost seems like the country just wants Blacks gone completely and is doing every step they can to make it so and openly, with no shame at all.

Let's be honest, pretty much every country doesn't like black people, but some are worse than others. And Israel, I think is one of those places.

180. IF YOU ARE A RESPONSIBLE PERSON I DONT SEE WHY YOU SHOULD BE HAVING PROBLEMS GOING ANYWHERE.THOSE COUNTRIES DONT WANT PEOPLE INVOLVED IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES-PONT BLANK.

181. Ok, well i definitely have to say,…. I've traveled to Thailand twice, lived in South Korea 2 years and now I'm living in berlin. And it's funny because I've experienced more racism in the US than in any of these countries. I'd say there are ignorant people in every country. In berlin, i've never exp. any racism, and quite funny the German, greek, and italian women love the brothas!Not to mention women with darker skin is prefered by some german men. Soooooo…. Maybe you should mention the US, bc their you are a criminal & black. I'm african american by the way! Not military either! #worldtraveler

182. God was with you my brother, yep God was with you. On the other hand some people may have had really bad experiences too.

183. David Blackwell Sub-Saharan Africa is one of the most racist place to live ?. How so ?.

184. Alex Denesi says:

Its an interesting article. I read another article Bout how some of te worst experiences of racism, according to African Americans, Hispanics, and other POC is the subtle kind of racism (bad service, stares, not being able to get taxis or hotel rooms). That was an interesting article too

although I've never experienced racism so I'm not trying to say anything about it through my stories, the stuff about china and stuff happens to many tourists. My cousins who are half Portuguese and are very tanned still got lts of questions and people talking to them. My Dutch uncle who is 6'7" would be stopped regularly in Taiwan, and major Chinese cities and people would talk to him and want to touch his blonde hair and stuff like that. Even though me and my friends are young, I know a good one who went to Japan and they get questions all the time despite being white, on the bus and just random people come up and ask you. In Japan you're either japanese, or "gaijin" (foreigner) and its less about skin colour (although racism exists everywhere don't get me wrong) if you're white they'll ask you questions about where you come from, they'll talk about your blue eyes or blonde hair, they'll ask you if you hate natto (fermented bean dish thingy). If you're black they'll do the same things, especially if you have an Afro they really like touching it and asking if you're from Africa and so on. It's kind of like "oh! Strange foreigner! Lets go ask them questions and blah blah blah"

Also from my visit to Germany with my school many years ago (I'm from Canada so we were very diverse) we didn't have many problems. We stayed mostly on the western side. People need to understand a bit about history and the virulent racism in soviet and post soviet states was and is astounding. Because of that, even though the Berlin Wall fell in the late 80s, even today amongst fellow Germans the divide still exists. People from the west thinking the eastern Germans are less advanced and intelligent, and so on. And easy Germany is still recovering from many decades of soviet ownership where propoganda, fear, the "brain drain", and many other issues occurred and have still lasted despite reunification. So maybe there may be more of that kind of racism in the eastern side but as a German and from being there many times and having family from there, the western side and indeed MOST of Germany is nice. The people themselves consider themselves liberal and open to all cultures and try to be welcoming. People mess up and there are racists everywhere so you always need to be aware but in general, it's good I think. Obviously I can't know for sure but…

We need to open ourselves up to the world and other cultures and appreciate them and the people they have given us and the beautiful things out there for us to experience. It's funny, alot of white people are the main perpetrators of racism but it's also lots of white people who try to be the most "un racist" who often are the ones who scare others from these cultures. Like the American government… I had this person tell me that going to a japanese festival and wearing a yukata was cultural appropriation… What??? How is that cultural appropriation? If anything it's appreciation. Cultural appropriation is taking away te works of a culture (like black culture, especially music) and outright stealing it and making it yor "own". And outright racism is blackface and Afros like on some South Korean television shows. I've met alot of white people and they're always the first to tell me learning japanese, eating food from Asia and Africa, and all that stuff is cultural appropriation and it makes people scared to experience things.

when in the end, we just want to experience another persons culture. As a tourist, the first thing I want to do is be polite and respectful in anothe country. And I'm sure that the ethnic citizens living there all want the same. If you have that, then you should enjoy travelling. Go to a native Chinese celebration, go in proper dress, enjoy yourself. Go to Hawaii, and Africa, and go meet the real people there outside of the resorts. See how they live, eat, and breathe. Talk to them, interact with them, and basically LIVE with them for a bit. A week two weeks, a month, a year? This is what fosters true understanding in the world. You live in America and you have the media, the television and it feeds you lies about like, illegal immigrants, or about how this new black kid who got shot deserved to die because he was a "thug". When you're ignorant to the world and eat that bullshit everyday, it gets into your blood. But you go to Asia, you go to the Middle East, you go to Africa and you experience something… Even if its just new food? All the great food of the world… Or fun holidays and celebrations they have in these countirs. The countryside and the wildlife, the beautiful languages, interacting with noble people all over te world and them sharing their lives with you. I promise you after that its alot harder to be racist or hate on other people for trivial things. You'll appreciate everyone. Maybe you'll even see how it was immigrants who brought over so many things to the country YOU live in. Your racist grandpa who hates everything past the 1950s may see how his favorite music like jazz and rock and roll was basically created by African Americans… How they and everyone else contributed to the institutions that built up the country, the culture, Nd even the food. The food that the south, the west, even northern America prides itself so much on was inspired by people primarily from African cultures.

We shouldn't be scared to experience the world and culture. Although I know that it must be sad to want to experience it and then get rejected because of the colour of your skin. And I'm sure there are places like that and you have to be careful. But there are many places on this list that I truly believe are not like that. The world isn't perfect. And you won't have a perfect time in any country, but the lengths the article suggests some countries are like are not that bad. Don't be that scared of Germany, I promise they will welcome you.

And just a reminder: the French and rude to everybody. Even if you try to speak French they will make fun of you. In Paris anyways, the countryside is really lovely

185. Strange…does anyone else notice USA missing from this list?

186. I live in Berlin now, and visited a few of those countries. After, I went natural things were a little bad for me. Just a lot more staring that usual. (Germans have a tendency to stare). I have been spit on, and many ethnic German men seem to have a sense of entitlement when flirting (as if I am looking for a husband or sex immediately). I would say overall I would choose to never live in the States again, although Germany will probably not be my home for much longer.

There are good days and bad days in Germany for me, and I live in the capital.

187. I live in Berlin now, and visited a few of those countries. After, I went natural things were a little bad for me. Just a lot more staring that usual. (Germans have a tendency to stare). I have been spit on, and many ethnic German men seem to have a sense of entitlement when flirting (as if I am looking for a husband or sex immediately). I would say overall I would choose to never live in the States again, although Germany will probably not be my home for much longer.

There are good days and bad days in Germany for me, and I live in the capital.

188. Leon Tulton says:

I just finished reading the article you commented on, Kimberly Alishia. Most of the countries listed in the story I wasn't surprised about. However Spain and Italy did shocked me, especially since the Spanish and Italian tourists I encounter in Harlem and the ones who visit my church are so nice and seem to interact with Black folks quite well.

In regards to Germany, I have heard stories about how the eastern part of the country tend to hold more xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners than its western counterpart. Despite what I read, I still would want to visit the countries listed in the story at least one time in my life just to say that I did it and to experience a new culture. Note I said, VISIT, not stay there.

189. Emmanuel Robert says:

From a Black British man, the authors of this piece need to obtain a passport or a life and stop writing this drivel.

190. Kimberly Alishia says:

Yes.. I would encourage everyone to see the world

191. Aijalon LivinglikeFaith Lawrence says:

Myke Reborn why would you being up a stereotype about black people if you're not racist? Africa and Brazil aren't giant slums, there are many beautiful place in Africa and Brazil. So you need to step back and really read what you said anyway,since you are white and Brazil also enforces racism, you won't be there, they will put you up somewhere nice.Yeah, it is 2014,but elapsed time doesn't equal to social structure reform(WW2 din't end so long ago). In America,honestly, nothing has changed since the 50's except the colored signs being taken down. I can't speak for Germany(I've never been),but after doing some looking around, there are a large number of people of color(black, asian,latino,especially black) being targeted. So, alot of these people don't want to pay money($1000+) to be beaten up,raped, tormented, or even killed somewhere else when this happen in their country. We don't want to run away from one trap into another.

192. Cyril Simeon says:

Paula Woods I must underline the fact that visiting a country is very different from spending some time( at least one year) trying to live normally in it.
    It's quite obvious when you go just to visit, you're likely to see the good side of things at least let's say you won't get to know the bad side.
    P.S: I live in Italy and i'm not surprised to see it on this list.

193. Anonymous says:

This article is crap. The only evidence supplied to support the claims is a few one-off accounts. No data. No interviews with people of color that actually live in these countries. No citations from research that was conducted on racism in these countries. Aside from the taking issue with the lack of evidence, the article's claim is absolutely contrary to my experience. For example, I've lived in Berlin for the last 1.5 years. Not once have I encountered racism in Berlin, or Bradenburg. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just saying it has been a non-issue for me in Berlin, Bradenburg, Dresden, etc. Europe is not the progressive socialist, utopia that I believe many, particularly left-leaning, Americans think it is. It's got racism, sexism, and all the other problems that societies face. Frankly, the US is still the most racist place I have ever visited, and it's not just white racism against Black people — it's equally the inverse as well. Let's not forget Black-on-Black racism. That's been virtually non-existent since I left the States. As soon as I touch down in the US though I'm confronted by Blacks that believe I'm either too Black, or not Black enough. I've been Black my whole life, I don't need some other Black person trying to define who I should be, how I should be, and what I should believe because we have the same skin color, or cracking jokes because I'm darker than they are. Anyway, I'll leave it at this — after three years living abroad in three different countries, if the degree of racism were the the only factor to consider, I would never go back to the US.

194. yes, mixed

195. Soroya Greene Giles says:

I have traveled throughout Europe several times and have never had an issue. While I'm not saying racism doesn't exist in any of these places but I've always been treated nicely by the locals and haven't encountered rudeness much less racism.

196. Annual Collins Jr says:

All these posts really mean nothing…hatred is worldwide…there are places whites cant go too. Mankind is full of shit and it needs to be rebuild and re-structured…that is why the idiots who say there is no GOD…. look at the results of the world if HE doesn't exist…..sad

197. i dont know why my post is deletet or i just cant see it. @ Andre Barnett, no problem. word! Aijalon….if u cant speak about germany dont talk about WW2 and social structures now. germany is not america, a lot of things have changed here in 60 years.

198. Correction to Thailand Article: Mike Shinoda is not African-American

199. Tone Spann …agreed…it would be laughable if it wasn't such common thought….and to boot, thoughts of many black folk in America. SMH.

200. Nice try article…but guess what, I'm not scared.

201. Wow

202. In actuality Germany is one of the best. It has grown so much over the years because a big increase of Nigerians and Interrial marriages.

203. Again, Russia isn't that bad. You will be stared at and maybe would want to touch you by children but it's not mean. It's more curiosity. When I went to Russia the women wanted to touch my skin. They were nice about it, they were curious

204. Again, Russia isn't that bad. You will be stared at and maybe would want to touch you by children but it's not mean. It's more curiosity. When I went to Russia the women wanted to touch my skin. They were nice about it, they were curious

205. Soroya Greene Giles says:

Aijalon LivinglikeFaith Lawrence Myke didn't say all of Africa and Brazil are slums, he picked very specific places and if you've been there, you would know exactly what he's taking about in regards to areas of Johannesburg and the favelas of Rio.

206. I'm sorry Ángelo Romeo Martínez this will be the fist time I disagreed with you. But none of these countries has hatred. It's more curiosity, b/c of lack of black people in those countries. I've traveled to all of these countries and never have I experienced nasty racism. They asked me what I like to eat, do I get cold, and Asian women ask if they can see my vagina once to look at it. I guess they were curious if mine looked like theirs. But none of that was made out of malice.

207. In Greece a woman couldn't understand why my hands and feet were white and my body was black. I have very white, pale hands and feet. You can google it to see what I mean. It's very common in Haiti for people to have lighter hands and feet. I don't know why but a lot of Haitians do. However, she literally couldn't understand.

208. This article is a general observation of these countries, of course personal experiences vary but every single one of these countries has deep xenophobia and racism. Just like the USA.

209. Soroya Greene Giles says:

Don't allow articles like this to sway you – I've traveled extensively to many of these places on the list and have never had an issue.

210. This makes me truly sad. To be exiled in every nation in every part of the four corners of the world. But I love that Jewish believed themselves to be people of color and of the utmost Highness and they get they face knocked in from centuries ago. These same people, try daily to dance like us, talk like us, dress in our clothing, even put on in public. I laugh at the injustice though it hurts. But I feel if you fear or despise us so much, don't play our music, watch basketball or football, or some of the more popular games because without us, you would still be on the football field beating your head against each other and ending the game with only 21 points per game. In basket ball, you wouldn't know what a jump shot was or a slam dunk. What gives? Stop the madness, yeah we may be animalistic to the next man but I believe that has something to do with being enslaved and now we are an empowered group.

211. Henning Pfeifer says:

Germany is NOT in general a dangerous country for Black People. In certain areas of the east maybe. But I spike to africans who lived there for years, and never had any bad experiences. Its more kind of a sereotype the "east" is full of Nazis.

212. Bill Cline says:

Wow, in addition to being a poorly researched article, its really intended to frighten people about traveling overseas. I've been to South Korea and China for months at a time and I experienced none of those problems. If you take this article to heart you'll never travel anywhere. Go, Explore, Discover and you'll be a better person for it.

213. Brandenburg erwähnen sie, Sachsen könnte man ebenfalls erwähnen… auch im Westen kann man Pech haben… man kann ja überall Pech haben, auch in den USA zum Beispiel… Aber man sollte sich keine Angst machen lassen. Stimmt. Es ist jedenfalls immer geil wenn sich mein Heimatland aufschwingt zum Moralrichter der Welt, mit ihrer Geschichte der Sklaverei und dem Genozid an den "Indianern".

214. Darvelle Levy, you can begin with your comment by not telling me what i should and should not do. plus, you do not know what i know or do not know and changing your tone. remember, if you are attempting to sway someones opinion, respect comes first and foremost.

215. Darvelle Levy, you can begin with your comment by not telling me what i should and should not do. plus, you do not know what i know or do not know and changing your tone. remember, if you are attempting to sway someones opinion, respect comes first and foremost.

216. Miller Helena you may begin with not being disrespectful. my comment may have offended you to an extent, but try to remember that the internet is not a play ground to release your aggression on people who comments may appear as "ignorant" in your eyes. i have taken the liberty of removing my own comment, since the majority of this small thread seem to feel the same as you. if you would like to educate me, please inform me and not comment about what i need. thank you and have a wonderful afternoon.

217. Aijalon LivinglikeFaith Lawrence says:

Soroya Greene Giles Poor areas doesn't equal violent areas.

218. Johnross Ford I totally agree! I visited China three years ago and received the exact treatment that was spoken about in this article. If you go through my China pictures you will see me with dozens of random Chinese people over and over again no matter where we went I would be confronted by groups of Chinese people that wanted to take my pic. As for some of the other places that were mentioned (Spain, Greece, Italy, Germany) I didn't have such an experience per say but I did find that many people just didn't like us because we were Americans (I was in those countries while in the Marine Corps).

219. Aron Senay says:

Germany is NOT racist country : AT ALL actually! People that are ignorant and find themselves in radical behavior can be found everywhere ! Germany is not a racist country, they are patriots and they have very tough rules on immigrations but they are not racists. As for Italy and Grece the racism outburst that we see today is a result of their economical decline. As for China : it's lack of information + ignorance! chinese people have been kept from the outside world for years they are just getting to know the rest of the world ! They lack TACT in their will to know you (you who is different) and that can be easily misunderstood. South Korea : once you get a sense of Korean humor (much like their strange television programs -same in Japan) you'll really understand that it is just …. never mind !!

220. Aron Senay says:

221. Rob Conyer I was going to make a similar point as a light skinned black man that has been to all but one of the countries listed. Also just because you (Craig) didn't get treated poorly I just can't imagine that you didn't see African immigrants treated poorly in Italy and Germany. No one really bothered me in Italy or Germany and that had a lot to do with traveling with a dozen of my fellow U.S. Marines but after talking to several African immigrants I came to realize that if your black and live in those countries your more than likely going to be forced to either sell junk on the streets (lighters and knives) if your a male or work as a prostitute if your female cause there just isn't much opportunity for non white immigrants.

222. Aijalon LivinglikeFaith Lawrence says:

Myke Reborn You can't ignore all these negative experiences those people had and why these things should not be be forgotten or discussed,because these things have a way of reemerging. We need a word of caution, this article is giving us a heads up. Nobody wants to go from the pan to a fire.

223. Cleveland English says:

Been To Italy, Germany, & Greece. I've been living in Thailand for 12yrs, I haven't personally experienced any of that in any of those places. I'm sure it exists, I'm just saying I had a blast and didn't see any of that drama.

224. Ebere Emenike says:

This is BS. I spent a month in Italy and ended up finding a man who was absolutely in love with my look and was not concerned about my race. I was treated like a lady by many men and I lived with an Italian family for the entire month and they were nothing but gracious to me. I study the language and know many Italians who treat me like family. I traveled most of the country by myself and received a look or two, but that happens daily in the US. This article explains exactly why some people may experience race issues abroad. If you go into it expecting racism and expecting a negative experience then of course you're going to come off like an asshole. The key is to be a traveller, not a tourist. And to make an effort with the language. Also, I condemn this article for encouraging generalization and ignorance. Basing an assumption off of a person's or a country's history is really an uneducated thing to do. That's why black americans are in the place that we are, because the majority assume that we are as we were historically: lesser and uneducated. So is it fair to make assumptions about these people? This goes for Americans in general. People often times do not like us when we travel, has little or nothing to do with being black. If you can demonstrate that you're educated and not an "ugly american" then there shouldn't be so many issues. Also, can we note the Naomi Campbell and Andre Leon Talley live in Russia. I've never read a publication by the lovely Atlanta Black Star, but I certainly won't be any longer. One of the many reasons racism remains is the desire to separate. So really, how are we ever going to enlighten the rest of the world about our intelligence and resilience as black people by encouraging them to avoid places? If it's for your safety, that's one thing, but this is not the case for this article. We need to go out there, break down walls, correct people's assumptions, not hide.

225. Malcolm Shabazz Hoover says:

Sulaiman Gonzalez I don't even know.

226. China was the only one that the author got right in my opinion. You would have thought I was a celebrity, my entire photo album from that 3 week long trip is filled with pics of me and random Chinese people that wanted to take pics with me. I didn't stand for all that touching so that wasn't a problem but yeah they definitely acted like I was an endangered species they might not have the chance to see again.

227. Malcolm Shabazz Hoover says:

The worst and most racist treatment I ever received was in Jerusalem at the hands of some of the Jewish people there. Several incidents (including being spit on in the Holocaust museum by a white woman from America) over the course of two weeks, just soured the whole thing for me.

228. Same here (former military) I can't even tell you if Italy was the worst for me because most of the time I was the one causing problems LOL!

229. Is Greece actually stepping up and doing something about the Golden Dawn Problem?

230. it was in germany 1990 where i was knock off the sidewalk and calla nigger by East Germans coming across now that the berlin wall had fallen.

231. would be interesting to compile tourists killed or robbed by blacks vs blacks robbed and assaulted as tourists

232. Christopher Brown Go back and read my comments. I said unequivocally that there is racism in Europe and I realize that African immigrants are not treated well. I said I was speaking from my experience as a traveler. I realize other people have had different experiences. My point is that the article makes it seems like you are going to be greeted by Skinheads when you land at the airport. Black people need to travel more, not less. You shouldn't let an article keep you from going to see the Colisseum or the Sistine Chapel. To each his own I guess, I'm trying to see as much of the world as my paycheck will allow.

233. @Henning Pfeifer: as they say: "…Germans, in general, are in denial about the depth of racism in their society…"

234. Ronald D'Armous says:

Racism in Europe has a long and storied history. Jews and Gypsies were there most traditional targets. However even whites among whites were racist toward one another. Germans and Frenchmen did not consider themselves to be of the same race. Germans were especially bigoted toward Czechs and the Poles.

235. Dave 'Davey D-Oakland' Cook says:

When I was in Spain, we could not catch a cab.. In fact one of our colleagues had just interviewed President Bill Clinton.. and is an emmy award winner.. 4 of us piled into a cab.. he refused to drive and told us to get out.. That was typical while there.. While there we had an emergency and could not get a cab they refused to take us.. found the place to be very wack to say the least..

236. Paula Woods says:

Cyril Simeon,
    I absolutely believe what your saying is probably true but since the article was discussing travel I just relayed my travel experiences. I did also read the one about the worst places to live. I heard about the drama in Italy already but I was still sad to read about it because it was one of my favorite places. :(

237. Paula Woods says:

Christopher Brown,
    Someone literally threw their baby in my arms and started snapping photos. I was like, WTF? Although I do have to say that I was fortunate not to be touched that much.

Trackbacks

1. real racing 3 hack

8 of the Worst Countries For Black People to Travel

2. […] Then there was the whole “Why Spain?” thing. I have no idea really. I’ve always wanted to live in a spanish speaking country. But I’m not sure why I picked one notorious for its racism. ( http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/) […]