Translate »
Tuesday, October 21st, 2014

5 Powerful Speeches to Change Your Consciousness

John Henrik Clarke – “The African Mind”

A Pan-Africanist scholar, historian, professor, and pioneer in the creation of Africana studies, John Henrick Clarke, Ph.D., explains the African personality in world history. The following is an excerpt from Clarke’s speech,  ”The African Mind.”

Amos Wilson – “Falsification of African Consciousness”

Psychologist and author Amos Wilson, Ph.D., offers an analysis of the current state of Black people’s collective consciousness and how it prevents us from developing solutions to our collective problems.

Wilson defines three elements of consciousness:

1. Contents – beliefs, opinions, knowledge, perceived knowledge, self-perceptions, worldview, conditioned responses.
  2. Instrumentalities – how we process the contents in our mind.
  3. Directional Organization  – how we use our consciousness to pursue goals; the values we hold; and the reasons behind our thoughts and actions.

Wilson concludes that white supremacy has altered the consciousness of Black people by giving us fabricated contents: a false history, false knowledge and false fantasies. Therefore, our ability to think and act in our own interests has been impaired because we have become confused about what knowledge is, who it belongs to, and how it should be used.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Comments

1. Christian CL Loveless says:

Whirlwind? I don't see "World Wind" anywhere.

2. Mwariama Kamau says:

Whirlwind letter moved me the most. Definitely. However, Mr. Garvey made more powerful speeches than the selection given.

3. I good list, but probably should have given ten speeches!

4. David McNeill says:

With all due respect to all other's, no one's speeches impacted me quite like Amos Wilson's. Baba Wilson was simply a genius. Garvey was the greatest leader of all-time though, and I hold him up in the highest regards as well.

5. David McNeill says:

Look on the third page.

6. Baba Garvey gave more as well, he was about Self Determination, and he was on a good road to make it happen. Had our movement not been destroyed by the CIA/FBI, and jelious uncle toms, we would be the most powerful group in the world, the Jews would not have nothing on us.

7. Oggi Ogburn says:

Where is Dr. Chancellor Williams?

8. WORD,SOUND IS POWER !

9. I was just about to say the same thing, I have the whole 3 hour speech and I listen to it at least once a week, one of the most complete and thorough speeches ever. I have his book blueprint for black power, it's so dense it may take me a year to fully wrap my head around it. He left us too soon but left us a body of work that can take us into the future.

10. Willie Morgan says:

Malcolm X,was a great speaker.