DDM is seeking motivated, energetic, creative, and aggressive news reporters to join the #1 Black-owned digital news source in the nation. Our digital media property Atlanta Black Star is looking for rock stars to help us grow to #1 in the world!
The ideal candidate will possess a natural curiosity and a burning desire to fill in gaps to tell complete yet compelling stories. This candidate should be able to develop daily story ideas and gather relevant information through all available mediums to move the story forward.
The primary coverage will be topics that have a direct impact on the African-American community and others of African descent.
Freelance, part-time and full-time opportunities are available.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to produce clean, organized publication-ready content with a minimum of supervision
- Coordinates with editors to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Conduct interviews in person, by phone or via email
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure
- Follow story from start to finish, expected to take ownership of stories
- Zealously develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
- Report breaking news, write quickly and precisely
- Scour national and international media for stories that resonate with ABS’s audience
- Regularly plans, gathers, and pitches day-to-day stories or special project assignments
- Complete breaking news and aggregated content via video snippets
- Pay attention to content performance and digital trends on a daily basis to constantly adjust pitching strategy and packaging
- Utilize CMS tools, strategically select photos and videos to optimize all written content for maximum engagement, reader retention, and shareability
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- BA in English or Journalism preferred or equivalent in experience.
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Knowledge of AP stylebook a plus
- Displays a clear ability to develop strong, reader-focused story ideas and write about complex concepts with clarity and authority
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and, when warranted, manage and juggle multiple stories simultaneously
- Producing multimedia and/or knowledge of video- or photo-editing platforms and software a plus
- Experience in an on-air role, field reporting a plus
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Must have strong skills in communicating and collaborating with editors and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover compelling stories
- A great work ethic and a can-do attitude.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong or unique social media presence a plus
- Self-starter, highly motivated to succeed under minimal supervision
- Must be able to work weekends and mornings, including holidays
Email all resumes to [email protected]