A Brooklyn man lost his life after a horrible transit accident caused him to be struck by an oncoming New York subway train. Despite efforts by medical professionals, his injuries were too severe to save his life and he was eventually declared dead at a local hospital.
On Wednesday, June 15, around 11:50 p.m. Marcus Bryant accidentally lodged his foot between the northbound Q train car and the platform at the Midwood Avenue M station at East 16th Street as he deboarded the train, NBC 4 reports.
The train pulled off, despite his foot being stuck and dragged the man until he fell onto the tracks, authorities report.
NYPD reports note Bryant was screaming on the tracks, but before anyone could help him, he was hit by another train, running the opposite way, as it pulled into the station shortly before midnight.
After the accident, Bryant was taken to Maimonides Medical Center where he was listed in critical condition, but doctors were unable to save his life. He was pronounced dead around 1 a.m. on Thursday.
Initial reports believed a piece of the 37-year-old’s clothing (pants or his jacket) had been snagged in the door, however, video footage released to transit revealed the actual details of the accident.
NYC Transit President Richard Davey spoke about Bryant’s death during a press conference on Thursday, June 16, saying, “What we know is that the individual was caught between the train and platform, and later fell into the pit, into the tracks, and a second train later came over him.”
He also dismissed the door scenario, saying, “We believe he was caught between the platform and the train.” He said one witness is speaking to authorities to get a clearer understanding of how the tragedy happened.
Davey also said he was interviewing MTA employees about the incident and initiating drug and alcohol testing for those on duty that night.
“Our regular protocol is a conductor should have his or her head out the windows when the doors close and look left and right for approximately 75 feet,” Davey informed the public.
“We’ve made no determination about their fault, but they are out of service pending investigation,” Davey said.
One witness who is speaking to authorities investigating the grisly accident is Yau Kin Lau. Lau says he got off of the train right before Bryant, according to NY1, and heard his cry for help.
“He said, ‘Help, stop the train,’ and I saw it immediately,” Lau recalled. “I’m yelling to stop the train. Unfortunately, there’s no one beside me at the platform.”
Lau notes the conductor didn’t hear or know Bryant was in crisis and continued driving the train.
The bystander said, “He goes very fast, a split second, no one realized, and he just was dragged for probably 30 feet, 40 feet and just dropped to the middle of the track.”
At this point, Lau said he called 911 and contacted an MTA agent in the booth to inform him of Bryant’s dilemma, hoping to get them to stop the trains. But alas, he was too late.
Lau said, “I ran back upstairs, told the second train operator, and said, ‘Man under the track right now. You might hit them again,’ so they immediately stop the train.”
Davey wants to know if the standard protocol was followed saying, “A conductor should have his or her head out the window when the doors closed and be looking to the left and the right for approximately 75 feet, that’s our normal protocol.”
Associates of the deceased called him a “quiet guy.”
“I was hoping it wasn’t him. He was a nice person,” said one neighbor, who wanted to remain anonymous, said, “My family knew him for years. He used to live here, but he moved a long time ago.”
Bryant died less than a month away from his 38th birthday at the beginning of July.
MTA officials said the Q train service was temporarily disrupted after the incident. Conductors resumed services around 3:20 a.m. on Thursday. The investigation is still underway.