‘That’s Just Something You Leave Alone’: Jada Pinkett Smith Sounding Off on ‘Set It Off’ Reboot Resurfaces After Issa Rae Confirmed to Produce

0
3100

News of Issa Rae taking on a reimagining of the 1996 crime thriller “Set It Off” has had the internet talking, but amid the chatter an interview with one of the original’s stars, Jada Pinkett Smith, has resurfaced. And she’s siding with those who are against a remake.

Earlier this week, various entertainment industry outlets reported Rae is going to co-produce a new version of “Set It Off” with her Issa Rae Productions partner Montrel McKay. The star and executive producer of “Insecure” is also eyeing a starring role in the flick, of which further details about casting has not been revealed.

However, at the premiere of “Angel Has Fallen” in Los Angeles on August 20, Pinkett Smith told Where Is the Buzz that she feels there’s no need to revamp the 23-year-old film.

“If they decide to do an extension of it in some way, recast it in some way, I personally think that’s just something you leave alone,” she said when asked about the possibility of a reboot. “It’s a classic, it’s done.”

She also said that she and original co-stars Queen Latifah, Vivica A. Fox and Kimberly Elise have no plans to do a sequel.

“Absolutely not,” the “Red Table Talk” host said. “I don’t know why people keep thinking that. … I know that we won’t, the original cast.”

Many have agreed with Pinkett Smith about the movie involving four women engaging in a series of bank heists after financial and personal woes push them into it.

“Leave it alone !! It’s perfection the way it is, nothing or no one can recreate that chemistry, vibe or energy ! Period.”

“Just leave the classics alone. Like, there’s a vibe to these classics. Please don’t ruin it.”

“Why do they keep making remakes of the originals leave that alone and come up with your own ideas 🤦🏾‍♀️”

“I’m tired of remakes. Not even in my 40s yet but Hollywood has already remixed my entire childhood.”

But while Pinkett Smith doesn’t feel “Set It Off” needs a sequel or reboot, she and her “Girls Trip” co-stars are down for another installment of the 2017 hit comedy of that summer.

“I really miss them. We stay in contact. We haven’t been able to all get together in a while, but I’m hoping that we’re gonna have this deal figured out so we can make a ‘Girls Trip 2,’ she told BUILD Series NYC in January adding “I’m ready for more Flossy Posse, trust me. I’m ready to have some fun with my girls!”

[wpdevart_facebook_comment ]