2 Employees at Chicago-Area Facility for Troubled Youth Charged in Teen’s Death

Shaquan Allen Screenshot of NBC 5

Shaquan Allen. Screenshot of NBC 5

After a struggle with a teen resident last Wednesday, two employees at a residential treatment center for troubled teens in Lake Villa, Chicago have been charged in the death of the 16-year-old.

Shaquan Allen was admitted to the treatment center after having a string of behavioral issues. Last week, two employees at the Allendale Association facility tried to restrain the young man, but the situation went south quickly.

On March 30, Justin Serak and James Davis tried to control the teen. When Serak took Shaquan by the legs and Davis grabbed the teen’s upper body and neck, the Shaquan became unresponsive, reports NBC Chicago. Davis put the teen in a chokehold in the midst of the struggle that made the teen lose consciousness.

CBS Chicago reports that the struggle took place around 10 p.m and by 11 that night, Shaquan died in Condell Hospital from injuries after the incident.

“Officers were told by Allendale staff that the juvenile became unconscious during an effort to restrain him following a brief struggle,” Lake Villa Police Chief Craig Somerville said.

However, the two men failed to report all the details about that night. In fact, when Allen was unconscious they tried to pour water on him to wake him up, but that did nothing.

“I sent my baby there to get help, because I thought the streets was a more dangerous place. I never in my wildest dreams imagined him dying up in there,” Shaquan’s mother, Willie Mae Allen, said to NBC 5. “They took my baby’s life. He’s not gonna be here no more.”

The 27-year-old Serak has been charged with one felony count of obstruction of justice with a bail of $50,000.

Davis, 37,  was charged with one felony count of involuntary manslaughter and a felony count of obstruction of justice. His bail was set at $1,000,000 after State’s Attorney Mike Nerheim recommendation.

Nerheim stated that the two men did not not call 911 within 15 minutes, which could have saved Shaquan. The treatment faculty did administer CPR but it came too late to save the teen.

Back to top