bqlll.AuSt.5

Photo: Drew Perine, The News Tribune

Christopher Emanuel is a 25-year-old Black South Carolinian. Syracuse law professor, Kevin Noble Maillard, crafted a brilliant report on the gauntlet of legal obstacles Emanuel overcame to be recognized as the father and sole custodian of his daughter, Skylar. Emanuel was deliberately excluded from his child’s birth, falsely branded a shiftless sperm-donor disinterested in and ill-equipped for fatherhood, and nearly stripped of his paternal rights.

This Black dad’s nemesis wasn’t his state’s recently banished Confederate flag. It was his daughter’s white mother and white grandmother, who ultimately lost their parental rights while a South Carolina judge condemned their campaign of treachery and racism to steal a Black child.

This is not our conventional notion of white supremacy. The enemy of Black people is habitually reduced to “the man.”

However, there would be no racist white man, without a racist white woman.

From Jim Crow legislation, to Black castration, editor and journalist, Chloe Angyal, correctly acknowledged that blubbering white women have prompted untold incidents of white terror. But her assessment is incomplete. White women are equally proficient as weeping victims of alleged “negro” mischief or aggressive, violent ambassadors of white power. Contrary to the rubric of white patriarchy, white women are equal co-conspirators in the devaluation of Black life.

The crescendo of rage in response to police abuse of Black citizens has consistently highlighted transgressions of white male officers. Although slim in numbers, white women help hold the blue line. In July of 2014, Seattle police officer Cynthia Whitlatch arrested a 70-year-old Black military veteran for supposedly swinging a golf club at her. The dashcam provided no evidence to support her claim and the department ultimately dismissed the charges and apologized for the arrest.

Following Whitlatch’s alleged racial profiling of an elderly Black veteran, she employed social media to broadcast her disgust with Black people who “think white people are out to get them.” The Stranger’s Ansel Herz reports that Whitlatch is accused of habitually classifying the Black citizens she was hired to protect and serve as “n-ggers”— she’s been on paid leave since January of this year. Like the white male killers of Tamir Rice, Michael Brown Jr. and Eric Garner, Whitlatch has not been fired.

Few white women brandish police shields, but all white females and males are expected to enforce white supremacy, monitor and abuse Black people.

Decades of feminism have not extinguished white women’s antagonism towards Black females. White females routinely malign entertainment mogul Shonda Rhimes and FLOTUS Michelle Obama as “angry Black women.” So imagine what white female teachers think of Black girls?

If white women are underrepresented in the field of law enforcement, they compensate with overrepresentation in the early stages of the school-to-prison pipeline. It’s estimated that white women comprise 63 percent of K-12 teachers in the United States. So when the Civil Rights Project at the University of California, Los Angeles documents that “African-American students are three times more likely to be suspended than whites,” that’s not “the man.”

The accusatory white woman who incited lynch mobs and genital mutilation is not extinct. She now flings allegations and suspensions in the classroom. Sabotaging the academic genius of Black students is an act of genocide. Educational psychologist Dr. Jamilia Blake documents teachers’ debilitating perception of Black girls and boys as threatening, unsophisticated and defiant. In Unsettling Whiteness, Dr. Lucy Michael writes that white women are central to the criminalization of Black students because they are “not blind to their own cultural practices, but deeply committed to them.”

“Deeply committed” white women of McKinney, Texas instigated the racial melee that introduced the nation to CNN’s “Best Place to Live.” Officer Eric Casebolt, who has since resigned, assaulted and violated a 15-year-old Black girl in a bikini. But a white female duo was the root of the conflict.

Eyewitnesses confirmed a pair of white women “made racist comments” and violently double-teamed a black female child prior to Casebolt’s appearance. These women weren’t arrested or charged, nor did they require white manhood to launch a terrorist attack. Days later, Andrew Guilford and his Black male comrades were bamboozled by an equally devastating claims by a woman. Guilford and other three black men were tossed to the ground and shackled by McKinney’s finest. No arrests were made, no weapons were found, but officers justified their detainment because a white “woman called claiming one of the [Black] men was going to shoot her and police.”

As for rallying white goons eager to pounce on and terminate Black lives, unquestionably, #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter. But women like Lake County, Fla.’s Lisa Elberson illustrate that white women are not confined to the pedestal of fragile, sanctified femininity. They’re equally proficient as aggressive, violent ambassadors of white power. Elberson was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, battery and child abuse after she was recorded terrorizing a group of black children—threatening them with a baseball bat while calling them “n-ggers.” Elberson publicly rebuked the notion of racial lynchings as white men’s work. She told the children, “I’ll hang your family from my tree.”

Cliché assessments of white women’s purported inclination towards frailty and vulnerability impair our understanding of and defense against the maliciousness of Elberson, and other racist white women.

Former Florida State Seminole quarterback De’Andre Johnson’s collegiate playing career was sacked by an altercation with a 21-year-old white woman. Johnson consoled his distraught Black mother, Pamela Jones, as he apologized for striking the woman and acknowledged that he should have walked away. He’s facing misdemeanor battery charges. Yet even Sean Hannity of FOX News was compelled to remind prosecuting attorney William Meggs that the footage reveals the White woman struck first. Additionally, she’s accused of spewing racial insults and striking Johnson in the groin before his retaliatory response. Her record and reputation remain, unblemished and white.

Tears or talons, they’re lethally proficient.

North Carolina’s unresolved deaths of Jonathan Ferrell and Lenon Lacy have the fingerprints of a racist woman. Lacy, 17, was found hanging from a swing set in the summer of 2014. His death was ruled a suicide, but Nick Fagge reported that Lacy’s 31-year-old “white girlfriend… says she believes their relationship led to his murder.” She had been warned not to date Black males in “Crackertown.”

Ferrell crashed his vehicle on a late summer evening in the summer of 2013. Unfortunately, he asked a white woman for help. She reported a prowler, and one of the responding officers, Randall Kerrick, needed a dozens bullets to suppress Ferrell. Kerrick’s manslaughter trial begins July 20.

37 thoughts on “#WhiteGirlsDoItBetter: Why White Women Remain One of Racism’s Most Slept On Weapons

1. "All white females and males are expected to enforce white supremacy, monitor and abuse black people"? Seriously? So the author of this article has never encountered a white person who was not a racist white supremacist? And then, you go as far as to compare cultural divide in America to GENOCIDE? The victims of actual genocide would trade their pain and suffering for the racial discrimination in America in a heartbeat. I, I no way advocate racism, prejudice, racial favoritism or any race-based differential treatment, and I am well aware that our country is not perfect and that individuals with those kinds of biases do exist in our communities but to categorize everyone of a certain skin color as white-power supremacists is, in itself, RACIST. I don't believe that I have experienced great suffrage or harm simply because of my skin tone, but I can say that as the mother of a tri-racial child I have been the target of racially-charged mistreatment from people of ALL skin colors. Where we are going wrong as a society, is building these scenarios to be a white vs. black thing, instead of an ignorance vs acceptance thing. We cannot create peace and harmony out of hatred.

2. As a black female professional, I have encountered racism many times in life and career. Interestingly enough, the most racism I have experienced has come at the hands of white women. It is a particularly vicious kind of racism in which character and soul are attacked with an intent to destroy. In many instances, men are 'roped in' by these white women to become accomplices in something they don't fully understand. Often, these men just take the word of the 'injured' white woman and finish what was started. The most pain I ever felt was when a 'brotha' was used to carry out injury to me, their sista. I have found great truth in this article. I'm interested to see if others will admit to white women racism and the viciousness of it.

3. Tommy Watson says:

A total of 400,000 Africans were transported to the land that is now the USA. Now there are 40 million blacks in that same area. So there are now 100 for every one that came over. Wow, that's the most failed "genocide" ever!

4. What a disgusting racist moron you are. Stupidity and hate reigns supreme in the slimey world of black nationalism.

5. Um… Not all Black men, Carly Lee.

6. Roger, if you were talking about Police brutality, how would you feel about someone coming in with "not all cops"? Or if you were talking about white supremacy and someone felt the need to say "not all white people"? She didn't say all men and you know what she meant.

7. Luke Charles says:

Roger Williams Not even most.

8. Luke Charles says:

Carly Lee I have found that no matter what is discussed some Blacks and whites will always find a a way to say that Black people suck. I suspect you are one of them.

9. Right. It's not about us. Yes, Carly Lee you were right "black men". We can't fix this problem by disassociated ourselves from discussions. That's just so counter-productive. All black men should be held responsible for how we treat black women until it is no longer an issue. So again, it's not about you Luke and Roger, it's about the collective of black men and the disappointing way in which we view black women.

10. THANK YOU WILLIAM THOMPSON!

11. Paul Floyde says:

That is s load of crap.i go with a white woman and she is a very good woman. I was married for 22yrs to a black woman and provided for my family. I worked in Iraq and Afghanistan for 7yrs and she cleaned Me out. Stole over 550,000.00 dollars from me and was sharing it with her new boo.she lost my house i didn't say i hated all black women because not all black are bad. I love my sista's.i don't go by color i go by connection and if That woman happens to be white, blue, or yellow oh well because in the end the only things that matter is that we make each other happy. Oh yeah my whom is 86 was married to a white man for 21yrs and they had 6 kids together. Let's stop pulling the race card because it is getting old. Maybe if you treat your men with respect and cook once in awhile and stop worrying about your hair and nails bit getting ruined you may find yourself being happy.I'm not going to stay with a black woman simply because she is black.oh ms. Carly i don't blame woman for my mistakes my black mother raise a good man

12. Soleil Aluyi says:

Stop using black women as a excuse because you married a white women, just stop it! You use the race card to get along in your house by bashing your own women, just stop it, it's been OLD and we are tired of SOME of you men using black women as a excuse so you can feel better about your choice and be excepted. Own up brother!

13. Have you ever seen rosewood goof movie

14. Plant Bite says:

Saying collective is a bit simplistic. How does a black man in Uganda have to deal with black American issues in Utah? Also, you're saying it as if all black women are innocent angels and helpless. One of the major issues is black people spending WAY too much money in white owned business. Try telling a black woman that and she will still buy from them. Also, what are you personally doing to change things? Talk is cheap.

15. Plant Bite says:

Sheharyar Hussain You proved Michael's point. Instead of acknowledging what he said, you automatically went on the defensive and labeled him a smiley black person.

16. Plant Bite says:

Let's be 100% honest, most white women are quite boring and generic to be around after 5 minutes getting to know them. I can only imagine it being 100 times worse for whites from the colonies i.e America.

17. My biological mother is a teacher and at home makes denigrating comments singling out the black students in her classroom while responding violently to the suggestion that she may be behaving in a racist manner. I worry for the students in her care.

18. It's not simplistic. In the same way you should say that all men are responsible for improving the treatment of women or all white people should help improve race relations. That black man in Uganda doesn't have to deal with black american issues in Uganda. That black man has to deal with black issues in Uganda. White supremacy/colorism/ or even eurocentric standards of beauty or not exclusively an American issue. When did I say that black women are "angels"? What even constitute an "angel"? White women aren't all "angels" but yet they sit on a pedestal that's not extended to black women. Black women do not need to fit a parameter to be worthy of our love (no one does for that matter). You're correct, black people don't buy black. But why don't black people buy black? We as a people did not have a gene that makes us not value black work. Who is responsible for that mentality? However, All I can do to personally change things is what I'm doing now. Having these discussions every time I see the opportunity. I am also trying to love my blackness more, so in turn I can better learn to love my black women. I also try everyday to fight the social conditioning that made me believe that white women were inherently better than black women. It's been a struggle but I'm changing things within myself and my future black sons/daughters will have unapologetic love for themselves. Lastly, talk isn't cheap. Talk spreads information and incites action. Don't try to belittle my stance just because communication is the only medium of communication to which I have access to.

19. Lennell Key says:

To me this comment and the replies there after is the beginning and reasoning of our problems as a people. Carly Lee's comments once again demonize Black men in an article that has nothing to do with the demonization of Black men. Roger says "some not all" and then Erica com pairs good Black men to brutal police, and white supremist. Then William jumps on the band Wagon about my responsibility as a Black man… Listen all of you… MY RESPOSIBLITY IS TO MY BLACK WIFE AND BLACK NIECES and other women who cross my path in real life. I [email protected] to except responsibility for dumb @sses I've never met. Not our young Black boys and young Black girls are right now inside of a school to prison pipeline. Can we all pull together for a damp minute to figure out solutions to stop this!!!!

20. If your concern for black people only encompasses the black people in whom you've come into direct contact with, then why reply to a discussion that aims to improve the lives of all black people? Because only looking out for your own will get us nowhere. It's always been about all of us.

21. Tracey Smith says:

You totally missed the point of the article. It's not about the White woman you "go with". You don't get it, and that's fine. But you need to work on your reasoning ability. You told us to "stop pulling the race card", and then basically did just that by admonishing Black women to "respect your men, cook once in awhile and stop worrying about your hair and nails getting ruined". Now, I don't care who you "go with", but you need to go somewhere else with your faulty attempt at logic. I can't stand a Black man who prefers non-Black women, and can't just be a man about it and tell the truth. White women can have you. No loss.

22. I recognize the accuracy of much of this, and I am deeply sorry for it. I know as a white woman, I walk in privilege, especially compared to black women.

Two minor quibbles with the article: "It’s estimated that white women comprise 63 percent of K-12 teachers in the United States. So when the Civil Rights Project at the University of California, Los Angeles documents that 'African-American students are three times more likely to be suspended than whites,' that’s not 'the man'." Yes, it is still 'the man', as teachers do not have the power of suspension; principals do. Principals are still largely male (and often former coaches, at least down here in the South).

Second, "Contrary to the rubric of white patriarchy, white women are equal co-conspirators in the devaluation of Black life." Don't confuse the role of white women in devaluing black life–which is real and terrible–with equality. White women are not equal to white men. White women still do not have the power that white men do. We may have more power than black women in almost all situations, yes, but in some situations, we have less power than black men.

Nobody wants to be playing oppression Olympics, and black people–male and female–have been and remain oppressed in the US. This must stop. However, white men are excellent at playing white women against black people. That too should stop.

23. Lennell Key says:

Please re-read my reply! I said "I refuse to except responsibility for dumb asses I've never met" "Can we all pull together for a minute to figure out solutions"…. Meaning.. I'm a damn good husband and father and have work damn hard to be that way. So other negroes who are not are not my concern. My concern is with putting BOOTS ON THE GROUND, and helping our people for real not just pointing fingers at the ones who aren't doing sh! t saying it's all of us…. Seriously what proposal and/or strategies do we have in place beside laughing and pointing at Black Men….

24. Soleil Aluyi says:

This is the norm in schools where the majority of teachers are white women and it has always been that way! Sad, but true…

25. One factor that is under reported, is that since White women are considered minorities too (they actually are the majority of the White population), they receive the majority (60 %) of the Affirmative Action benefits as well as other government programs put in place to help non White people. This way, the money circles right back into the White community.

26. Dude the article isn't attacking your wife! Thats like me arguing black women all are rich just because me girlfriend is black and rich.
    The article is just corolating facts.

27. "yet black men will always worship these broads,"
    So if I said; yet black people are always in prison, I'm a racist.
    You dont have to make generalizations to make your point.

28. Barry Milburn I did, up until she disowned me and kicked me out.

29. Diana, please call her out on it every chance you get, because those kids do not deserve that!

30. Erica O. Askew… So, you're comparing racist reactions to someone rejecting the racist narritive that "black men" prize other women over black women? That's a rhetorical question. The reason why people reject "not all cops" and "not all white people" is because it's a racist play at subverting the topic of racism, but the framing of black men is out of that same playbook. The majority of black men are with black women. So generalizing black men outside of that perspective subverts the truth. Like people talking about absent black fathers. "Why are black men not in the home?" is as wrong as "…yet black men will always worship these broads…" That's like me saying "all black women will say dumb shit on facebook" I would hope that you know better and more importantly I would hope that you wouldn't make it true.

31. William Thompson I thoroughly agree with the point you make about how Black men treat and view Black women. It's sinful how we treat our partners in this struggle and how we run to the arms of the enemy. I had that problem when I was a much younger man, but that was way back then. This is now!

32. Lenore Kensington, the atricle merely states that the White woman is as much a partner in how racism plays out as the White man. I just so happen to believe this to be pretty much on point. I went to school and had many White female teachers who ignored the deficiencies with their Black students while focusing on those of the White ones. Sure, this is actually a grand generalization and not a truthful depiction of every individual circumstance, but I understood that clearly as I was reading it. As far as White men playing White women against Blacks, many White women do a fine job of that all by their lonesome.

33. Joseph Dacus says:

lmao at this drivel

34. I know teachers like that.

35. Jay Glenn says:

When I was younger, I used to call certain white women "lynch mob b*tches" because that's the one that incites the mob. If you look or listen she'll be somewhere close by…fanning the flames.

36. Carly Lee is telling the truth. These Negro males always put White women on a pedestal while downing their own women. Then they wonder why no one respects them. These American Negro males are a joke.

37. Black men deal with the same issues when dealing with most black women. You see dark skinned men with white women because BLACK WOMEN wouldn't give them the time of day. Not all cases but a lot. Why do you think so many men of color entertainers and athletes flock to white women after they've reached some form of success. It's an act of defiance to all the black women that dissed them and would be soon to spit on him then to ever acknowledge his presence.

Black women noawadays are obessessed with status and materialism more than they care about the actual man. Cannot count all the times I've heard black women profess they want a rich white man specifically for status(black female and white male couples are the fasting growing in America, ironically). While white women mostly fetish black men as hung mandigo warriors. And not any of this is new, before integration, the most common interracial couples were white men and non white women(still are), it was NOT always rape and black women did recognize the easier life offered by being a mistress and having their masters babies.

In some parts of the Americas this was so COMMON that laws were passed which allowed the children of such unions to inherit the status(as in race) of their father and mulattoes born to a black mother and white father were legally white. They inherited land and property including SLAVES. The majority of black slafve owners in the south were WOMEN who inherited this "wealth" from their former masters.

While black men who were FORCED to sleep with white women during those times risked death, or castration and their children were sold as slaves to hide the white families "shame". There is a whole history behind this most of you are ignorant of. Colorism and being fetished are not simply female issues. I don't support integration or fetishing white people of any nationaulity or race based on historical knowledge.