Update: Ryan Coogler has issued a clarification for his statements about Sylvester Stallone to Atlanta Black Star, saying the 71-year-old’s “concern was simply because we were both young, it was my second feature film, and Michael had never played a boxer before.”
Previously: Ryan Coogler spoke candidly about his directing experience at the Cannes Film Festival Friday, May 11 and even shared some insight on what iconic “Rocky” star Sylvester Stallone thought about him and Michael B. Jordan taking on “Creed.”
Apparently, Sly wasn’t too confident in Coogler and Jordan’s abilities to direct and star in the rebooted boxing franchise.
“One thing he was concerned with was me and [star Michael B. Jordan’s] work ethic,” Coogler said according to the Los Angeles Times. “He would always say, ‘Do you know how much work this is gonna require?’ For us, it was, like, never letting him see us not working.”
Still, Coogler bonded with Stallone over time, who would arrive on the set of the 2015 film with notes on the day’s scene.
“It’s like directing anybody else, but you just listen way more,” Coogler said of the veteran actor he described as a “really complicated man” who has “been through a whole lot.”
However, folks were fired up upon learning the 71-year-old was worried about Jordan’s portrayal of underdog light heavyweight boxer Adonis Creed and Coogler’s direction over his second film.
“Wtf,” someone simply tweeted.
“Sounds racial, did he ask Jason Statham that?” another asked of Stallone’s “The Expendables” co-star.
Stallone man you really had to go there huh? pic.twitter.com/0LPqJWhd1w
— Trevor Upchurch (@SidewaysMosque) May 11, 2018
That’s that bullsh!t …. thinking they wouldn’t work. Clearly he hasn’t seen any of their work B4 b/c he would have known MikeB has been working since he was a kid. And I like Stallone too…. just made me look at him so differently…. ticks me off pic.twitter.com/lyY0KlBINv
— ❤beautiful❤💎❤💎sunshine❤ (@2speak_easy) May 12, 2018