Did Conde Nast Preempt Backlash By Banning Work of Photographer Who Has History of Sexual Assault Claims?

Terry Richardson allegations
Terry Richardson has been accused of inappropriate sexual behavior for years. (Fernando Leon/Getty Images)

Fashion photographer Terry Richardson has been added to the list of dethroned industry veterans. The shutterbug, who is known for his provocative shoots, has been banned by leading fashion magazines like Vogue, according to an email from Condé Nast reported by The Telegraph.

In an email sent from to publications like Vanity Fair, Glamour and GQ, an executive at the mass media company told publications to nix any photos by Richardson.

“I am writing to you on an important matter. Condé Nast would like to no longer work with the photographer Terry Richardson,” James Woolhouse, the Condé Nast’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, said in a Monday, Oct. 23 email. “Any shoots that have been commission[ed] or any shoots that have been completed but not yet published, should be killed and substituted with other material. Please, could you confirm that this policy will be actioned in your market effective immediately[?] Thank you for your support in this matter.”

But Richardson isn’t taking the ban lightly, which a source told People magazine is aimed at the company’s international titles.

“He is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually,” his spokesperson said in a statement to The Telegraph Tuesday. “Terry is disappointed to hear about this email especially because he has previously addressed these old stories.”

Terry Richardson’s Work

Miley Cyrus’ ‘Wrecking Ball’ Video: Naked But Not Twerking

Beyonce to Take the Stage At Brit Awards, Opens Up About Sex Life

Rihanna Glows In New Vita Coco Ad Campaign Photos

And it’s true. He’s addressed the claims because of the longstanding allegations against him. In 2014, Richardson wrote an essay on for The Huffington Post saying he “collaborated with consenting adult women who were fully aware of the nature of the work and as is typical with any project, everyone signed releases.

“I have never used an offer of work or a threat of rebuke to coerce someone into something that they did not want to do,” said Richardson, who has been accused by many models of inappropriate sexual behavior and of pressuring young models to perform sexual acts during shoots.

Richardson’s ban comes after a series of other industry heavyweights have been accused of sexually harassing and assaulting women. Harvey Weinstein, co-founder of Miramax and The Weinstein Company, was the impetus for the ousting. Amazon studio head Roy Price and director James Toback are two of the newest men accused. Plus, it follows a history of allegations against men like Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, directors who have both been named as alleged assaulters.

Such heavy hitters have been supported for decades, with Matt Damon saying he “never saw” Weinstein engage in any inappropriate sexual behavior since he began working with him in the 1990s. And actress Kate Winslet, who denounced Weinstein, is making the rounds to support her new Woody Allen flick, “Wonder Wheel.” She avoided answering if she thought about Allen’s molestation accusations before she worked with him while speaking to Variety.

However, many stars are detailing their encounters of sexual assault in the industry, not just with Weinstein, but with other unnamed executives. Lupita Nygong’o recently described Weinstein’s penchant for massages while Terry Crews said a Hollywood honcho groped him.

Comments: Get Heard