Translate »
ArabicChinese (Traditional)EnglishFrenchHaitianPortugueseSpanishSwahili
ArabicChinese (Traditional)EnglishFrenchHaitianPortugueseSpanishSwahili
Wednesday, August 20th, 2014

Brooklyn Landlords Forcing Black Tenants Out in Favor of Whites

Brooklyn landlords push out Black tenants

Source: Brownstoner.com

Three landlords in Brooklyn have been accused of mistreating Black tenants in an attempt to force them to move so white tenants can take their spots.

Now the landlords are facing a federal lawsuit.

The tenants at the two complexes on Brooklyn Avenue and Hawthorne Street in East Flatbush claim that the poor treatment of Black tenants started  in 2009 when the landlords first purchased the building.

The lawsuit claims that Black tenants were offered cash buyouts and events took a turn for the worse when they refused the offer.

The landlords have allegedly stopped fulfilling repair requests, implemented sudden price spikes in rent, and even refused to cash checks for African-American tenants.

“In contrast, white tenants move into renovated apartments, their rent checks are cashed, they receive monthly rent statements and they are not subject to harassment,” the lawsuit states.

They also have not been hit with the same double-digit rent increases that African-American tenants have faced.

racist landlords in Brooklyn

Source: NY Daily News

The lawsuit states that there has not been any justification for the poor conduct on the landlords’ behalf and they are simply trying to force out Black tenants.

“Entirely lacking a rational business justification, this course of conduct is blatantly designed to ambush Black tenants who have lived in the apartments for years, paying affordable rents and force them out, thus enabling defendants to re-rent the apartment to white tenants,” the suit states.

One tenant has been forced to go without hot water since last Friday.

Several complaints about the lack of hot water were made to the landlords, but no one has made repairs.

The landlords have yet to publicly address the lawsuit or the accusations brought against them.

Comments

1. Black people get to relaxed in their everyday living, I don't blame the white man, I blame us, dope dealers have to wake up, I'm not backing what they do, but already if your going to doo it, by up the neighbor hood, and that way this won't happen to our people.

2. Black people get to relaxed in their everyday living, I don't blame the white man, I blame us, dope dealers have to wake up, I'm not backing what they do, but already if your going to doo it, by up the neighbor hood, and that way this won't happen to our people.

3. Marlena Nkene says:

I totally agree Antonio, black people as a whole, the mentality is so backwards. The only way to avoid situations like these are to gain in power and control. If black people really wanted racism to end, we would be beating down the doors to get an education, own businesses, be represented in all facets of society, Instead, we remain at the mercy of people who could care less about the best interests of our people, and rightly so, we should never expect them to. That is our responsibility.

4. Jevon Greenaway says:

you went to community college so no one is surprised by such an unintelligent answer. Kill yourself

5. thank you sister marlena nkene, @jevon greenaway, this is the problem we have in our community, you sit at your desk and wish me death, WOW, ON ANOTHER BLACK MAN!!!! BROTHER JEVON, I'M GONNA TELL YOU LIKE MY PROFESSOR TOLD ME, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COMMUNITY COLLEGE AND A UNIVERSITY, IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CURRICULUM. BEING THAT YOU WENT TO SUCH GREAT ESTEEMED SCHOOLS YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT, HALF OF THE SCHOOLS OUT THERE IS ALL NAME AND NO GRADUATION, HALF OF THESE ESTEEMED SCHOOLS, PIMP OUR BLACK ATHLETES AND COME HOME BROKE, WITH NO DEGREE. AT LEAST HCC. SEEN ME THROUGH, AND FURTHERMORE THATS JUST ONE OF TWO, JEVON, SO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPEAK SIR, BUT I FORGIVE YOUR UNGODLY STATEMENT, BECAUSE I WOULD NEVER SAY THAT TOO ANOTHER BLACK MAN.

6. NOW MY COMMENT, I THINK YOU GUYS MISINTERPRETED WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY. I DON'T WANT OUR PEOPLE SELLING DRUGS, BUT TO BE HONEST FAMILY,ITS OUT THERE, ITS THE REALITY OF A LOT OF OUR NEIGHBORHOODS, NOW BEFORE ANYONE RUSH TO CONCLUSION AND WISHING DEATH ON ME, JUST LISTEN TO WHAT I GOTTA SAY, BUYING RENTAL PROPERTY IS THE WAY OUT OF DRUG LIFE, AS LONG AS WE CAN KEEP IT BLACK OWNED AND OPERATED, AND THE OWNERS BECOMING A POSITIVE FIGURE IN THE COMMUNITY, I DON'T SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. IN OUR BLACK COMMUNITIES WE HAVE TO MAKE EVERYBODY POSITIVE, AND OUR PEOPLE HAVE TO STOP BEING SO RELAXED WITH OWNERSHIP. IN MY CITY SISTER MARLENA NKENE, AND BROTHER JEVON GREENAWAY!!!!, I SEE IT COMING, THE WHITE INFLIGHT TO THE BLACK NEIGHBORHOODS , SO AS THE GOOD AFRICAN AMERICAN THAT I AM; I AM LETTING EVERYBODY KNOW TO BY PROPERTY, I AM ALSO TALKING TO THE UNDESIRABLES, TO DO THE SAME THING, CAUSE I RATHER SEE US HAVE IT THEN WE GETTING SHIPPED OUT OF OUR OWN COMMUNITIES. IJS.

7. Dorian Vixenvanity Parrish says:

some of you sound stupid what does a group of elderly african americans living in rent controlled apartments have to do with laziness or drug dealing

8. your still missing the point, i'm not saying them per say, i'm talking about black people as a whole, if you say they are elderly, and its controlled rent, then why is the white man kicking them out, this would be steady money for him. the point i'm making sister. he is looking at taking care of his race, rather then the black race, yea we can call him a racist prick, but this is how white people think. this is nothing new in new york, white and jews are buying up property by the boat load, now let me ask you sister, lol do you honestly think they all are honest working people? the kennedy 's amassed there fortune from bootlegging, the jews, at one point, a criminal enterprise, that took over the world, black people, have to wake up, and once again, if i was able to buy an apartment complex, which i am looking at, i would kick certain people out as well and take care my own, and thats the only point i'm trying to make, he ain't wrong, he's looking for his people, the same thing we should be doing. love you sister dorian. smiles

9. Theresa 'Tammie' Parrott says:

Totally agree with Antonio Martin. Black people need to think about our survival. The perception of black people today is just as bad if not worst than 50yrs ago. We don't stand for anything! Still trying to assimilate, not intergrat. We are not interested in building our own communities with economic power. We don't think we are successful unless we have the biggest, the most expensive, a certain zip code. What is not realized is, even when those material things are obtained, when you walk out your door you are still black. That's the way the world is going to treat you. It's not just here in America, it's worldwide.

Gentrification is happening everywhere, Philidelphia, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Detroit. Gentrification is not just affecting poor blacks, but middle class blacks too. There are some so called black leaders that are now including homosexuals and immigrants in the Civil Right Movement. No matter what they say, that movement was about the treatment of black people in this country, nothing more.

The movement is not over and never will be until black people understand the psychological part of oppression. The movement never addressed that. Certain things were taught and passed from generation to generation. Today, in the 21st century, we are still teaching our children the same thing. It's not just what blacks were taught, it's also what whites were taught.

We need to revisit the strategies of what created Black Wall Street in Oklahoma, Rosewood in Fl and what blacks did in Chicago did when black people were excluded in the city. There will be those that say we should learn to live together. Well, that was tried in this country and it's still segregated. Not only that, but look at other ethnic groups, the Chinese, Jews, Polish, Mexican, Koreans. They build economic growth within there own communities. They buy in there own communities. Not black people! We have bought into a lie and the sooner we wake up the better off we will be.

10. Theresa 'Tammie' Parrott whoot whoot, {big smile}sister thats all i was trying to say, and i am alerting people in my city as well, sister, in my city of st. petersburg, florida, there was an article put out in a major mgazine, and it said, "we are gonna make st.petersburg, florida, the number one destination spot in the world, over france, new york, miami and chicago, etc" now you know whats finna happen. (gentrification) i just moved back to my city from tampa, florida, and i have never seen so many european americans, in the black neighborhoods, so i have been sounding the alarm, i also am trying to do my part, by buying a duplex, but sister Theresa, this alarm is going right over my peoples head, they don't care, they are so relaxed, they don't read stuff like atlanta black star, or whats going in new york or chicago. once again, when the white in-flight comes about, and start kicking our black asses out, can we be truly upset?

11. IMHO sister Marlena hit the nail on the head. We need to quit whining about how the whites are treating us and change the relationship. Who of you will stay in a relationship where you are being abused? We black folk in America let over $1 Trillion slip through our fingers, while we own and control nothing. Blacks in America are white America's #1 trading partner.
    We should own those apartment buildings. We should own businesses that employ our own people.
    Go to Us Lifting Us on the web and become exposed to a form of cooperative economics that is extremely powerful, capable of potentially creating our own economic foundation. Shalom.

12. IMHO sister Marlena hit the nail on the head. We need to quit whining about how the whites are treating us and change the relationship. Who of you will stay in a relationship where you are being abused? We black folk in America let over $1 Trillion slip through our fingers, while we own and control nothing. Blacks in America are white America's #1 trading partner.

13. Anonymous says:

If I as the owner of a building prefer to rent to Democrats rather than Republicans or old people rather than young people , it should be my choice not the government dictating to me what I am allowed to do with my property. If I were a Black and knew that I was not wanted , I would be more than happy to get the hell out and give my rent money to someone else . Amerika , the land of the Free and the home of the Brave ? I would not stay where I am not wanted whether it be a town , State or a country .

14. Lay'Di Cleopatra says:

Why is it that many of us self hating people always bring up dope dealers when blacks are mentioned?

15. Jacky Pedrosa says:

Its not just black tenants , and it has been like this since 2008/09 I wonder if these are the same people . Most of the landlords in that are related someway somehow. New owners took over and all hell breaks loose. I have been a part of this in 2 apts in this area for the past 15 yrs. It started when park slope over by 7th have when the uppercrusts started taking over. The first apt was on borderline of park slope/ crown heights 2003, the landlord forced most of the tenants out. Some where immigrants who spoke lil english and fled when the court notices were tacked on their door, or some were too old to put up a fight. I personally suffered through lack of repair, refusal of statements, living under disgusting conditions, increase in rent that I abandoned it. All these apts were fully renovated, fumigated beautifully recreated and then rented out, guess to whom? I moved not so far from from that building, live good decent conditions till the new landlord took over 2008/09 , all the sudden the building was no longer maintained, the exterminator stopped showing up, the plumbing and electrical issues were out of comtrol, coned and keyspan were refused access which led to low estimated bills , when they were finally let in the actual readings resulted in very very high bills that us low income people had to struggle.to pay. Then came the reports to HPD to get the landlord to make repairs that weren't made and again I abandoned the apt because the stress and horrible living conditions were to much to deal with. My two bedroom was fully renovated, plumbing fixed and rented to a young white couple w no kids at the same amount I was previously paying ( though he tried to raise it on me) its happening all over brooklyn .q