Translate »
Monday, October 20th, 2014

11 Neil DeGrasse Tyson Quotes That Debunk ‘Religious Science’

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the most famous African-American astrophysicist, author and science communicator today. He has written and broadcast extensively about his views of God, science, spirituality, and the spirituality of science.

When asked if he believed in a higher power, Tyson responded:

“Every account of a higher power that I’ve seen described, of all religions that I’ve seen, include many statements with regard to the benevolence of that power. When I look at the universe and all the ways the universe wants to kill us, I find it hard to reconcile that with statements of beneficence.”

Tyson can be seen as the current host of “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,” which airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on Fox.

Neil-College-2

“Great scientific minds, from Claudius Ptolemy of the second century to Isaac Newton of the seventeenth, invested their formidable intellects in attempts to deduce the nature of the universe from the statements and philosophies contained in religious writings…. Had any of these efforts worked, science and religion today might be one and the same. But they are not.”

The Sky Is Not the Limit,” p. 183

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comments

1. Craig An'em says:

Yes! Neil F*ckyourfeelings Tyson.

2. Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, one of my favorite people. Dr. Tyson, this is me again. I still would like to see you, with your African name. Otherwise, in the next 100 years some other race is going to take credit for your work. Remember, when I sent you the email some years ago, and you responded, "A rose is still a rose ….

3. Cosmos is a nice television program, but some of the stuff on the show I do not agree with.

4. Cosmos is a nice television program, but some of the stuff on the show I do not agree with.

5. He said that because he is trying to say that people benefiting from the progress he made is far more important than them associating it with a race. Race has done nothing but hold us back as a society, because we focus way too much on it.
    Also, if this was the age before technology, your statement may have been more accurate. But there is so much recorded info of him being Black, I doubt anyone would challenge it.
    He hosts the Cosmos, a program where you can clearly see that he is Black. It's gonna be hard to challenge something like that.

6. Adina Where have you been? I cannot believe you said that. Have you ever hear of Egypt? Actually the real name is Kemet. Well, that is the country, the indigenous people were black Africans, the orginal people of Kemet. All the creations, were created by blacks, yet today most people say these were not African people, and they are crediting all the wonderful creations to another race of people. Every person who created something great during ancient Kemit, they show that person as white or some other race. Would you like your great, great, great, grand children to know that you created something wonderful that may last for many centuries, and people benefit from it, and the people says it is a Chinese person who created it, but you did it, are you saying you do not have a problem with that? And all the chinese children just bashing in their ancestors creations ….. Very unusual.

7. Adina Let me also add, the only benefit someone else will get from someone's else's work, is glory, based on a lie. What do you mean, when you said race has held us back as a society? You cannot be talking about black people. As for record keeping, there is a process called destruction, which is what they did in Kemet, all that they could not use or know how to use, they destroyed it. Today they can make Dr. Tyson, look more European, than a real European, with, what you said? Technology. They did not have the technology way back in the day, and they changed the look of a lot of our great black geniuses, and they say that the individual is white. This is old news. That is all I have to say on the matter. Okay. Thank you.

8. Nzingha Shabaka
    I don't see what that has to do with anything. Like I said, we are in an age where there is tons of recorded film. They did not have that back in Egypt's Golden age.
    Theoretically speaking, the chances of someone looking at the show Cosmos 2,000 years from now and saying Tyson isn't Black is practically zero. It's very obvious that he is a Black man. He doesn't need to change his name for people to realize he is Black.
    This is common sense. It's not that hard. He is not concerned with his race being misinterpreted, and neither am I. You think you know better than him? How amusing.

9. Nzingha Shabaka I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were one of those Black Nationalist Hotep negroes. Had i known that beforehand, I wouldn't have wasted my time because I know common sense escapes people like you. Never mind. My apologies.
    Carry on.
    ¯_(ツ)_/¯

10. Do you need to resort to name calling to make a nonsense point? I was expecting it, you are a typical, NonAfricented young woman. By the way I do not use the word negro, never have, never will, and certainly not one. You need to respect yourself, then maybe the rest of us black people, can expect you to respect us as well. Sarcasm, and name calling, is a negative mix. I am done, no more response from me.

11. Marco Suess says:

I am so glad to have such a strong figure as Neil carrying the torch of science, reason and discovery.

12. Dancy Pants says:

That's the cool thing about science. You may not agree with it, but the facts and evidence will still be there.

13. Michael Boss says:

Who

14. Dancy Pants: until they're disproved.

15. Dancy Pants: until they're disproved.

16. Trinidad Hernandez says:

my favorite physicist after michio kaku

17. Chris DoubleYou like religion

18. Traci Roberti says:

Um, none of these quotes "debunk Religious Science"…. your thing here is incorrectly titled http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Science

19. Arthur Askey says:

Only because you have been brainwashed, are too narrow minded to see, cannot think for yourself and are too afraid to see the facts. Go back to your petty little book filled with murder, rape, destruction, famine, slavery and many other horrors all in the name of you invisible myth that controls your life and strangles your existance.

20. Arthur Askey says:

@Michael Reed….What do you not agree with and why not? Its far more than a nice television programme, its full of facts, discoveries, education and so forth. How do you have a problem with that?

21. Traci Roberti says:

Arthur Askey which "petty little book" 'cause I'm trying to point out that "Religious Science" are what we call the teachings of Dr. Ernest Shurtleff Holmes follows the Science of Mind text book and not the bible. Perhaps if you were able to let go of your own cognitive dissonance long enough, you would see that not all religions are alike ;)

22. Arthur Askey says:

Rubbish. Having read your link and other guff relating to it, I say again Rubbish! Its just another load of nonsense with no proof, no evidence and no facts. The usual circular argument with nothing to back it up and there never will be. As you are unable to work out 'petty little book', its no wonder you are a follower of such drivel. Attaching the word Religion to Science is no better than trying to convince the world that Intelligent design is anything other than biblical tripe. As for my "letting go of my cognitive dissonance", thats about as rediculous as the 'sound of one hand clapping' mantra. You had to pick that up at a meeting. No matter how you try to wrap it all up and pretend its something it's not, it's still the same crap in different underpants. Try a lecture with Neil deGrasse Tyson and see how much of your patter you can slip by him.

23. Traci Roberti says:

Arthur Askey I love listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson, He's amazing. I'm just saying that the title of this (blog, article, web page, whatever) is wrong. And not that I want to agree with your snarky self, I do agree that "Intelligent design is biblical tripe". Seriously, you need a nap or maybe a cookie so you can chill out a little.

24. Arthur Askey says:

I will happily take snarky over condescending any old day. I require neither nap nor cookie and I have no need to chill out at all. You should look back at your first post and see how insufficient it was if you are now actually trying to agree with me in my support of Neil deGrasse Tyson's quotes.
    The title used may have been too defined for you to see beyond the "Religious Science" connection link you quoted, but there are so many 'Western' religions trying to attach and imply a smattering of 'science' to their teachings as they attempt to distance themselves from the actual words written in their little books.
    The major religions using the 'you cannot take the bible literaly' statement is just further proof that they have no relevance anymore in a world full of scientific discovery.
    NdGT is covering all of them in one clean sweep. Long may he and others like him continue to educate as well as entertain us with reality and facts carefully considered after careful study and checks.
    "Religious Science" by E Holmes is just another pick and mix from the Bible carefully designed to avoid and distance itself from the horrors within it that I mentioned.

25. Traci Roberti says:

Arthur Askey the quote "Whenever people have used religious documents to make accurate predictions about our base knowledge of the physical world, they have been famously wrong.” for example, has nothing to do with debunking Religious Science which is why I say the title of this is incorrect. It may debunk idiots like Ken Ham, but not Earnest Holmes Religious Science. Whether or not I like or enjoy the NdGT quotes has nothing to do with the point I am attempting to make.

26. Arthur Askey says:

There is nothing in E Holmes Religious Science that has anything to do with facts in the physical world. If a belief in something like a 'god' gets you through your day thats fine, but its not a fact, its not provable its not tangable, its merely a belief, something that you feel exists but there is no proof of other than in your head. It is not Science. Its snake oil, smoke and mirrors.
    Show me some proof that isnt just a circular argument that uses itself to explain its right. As in making an actual point.
    Ken Ham has plenty of followers despite being him and them being idiots. No disrespect but anything that involves a 'god' over and over in its teachings just isnt plausable. Enjoy it if you like thats fine, but as there are thousands of different religions all thinking they are the only right and true one. None of it stands up to any scrutiny. Using a scientific approach only proves that non of them can be right.
    NdGT and plenty of others consistently debunk all religions in open discussions and debates, no matter what name they go by.