web analytics
ArabicChinese (Traditional)EnglishFrenchHaitianPortugueseSpanishSwahili
ArabicChinese (Traditional)EnglishFrenchHaitianPortugueseSpanishSwahili
Monday, April 21st, 2014

10 of the Richest Black Communities in America

uniondale, ny

10. Uniondale, New York

Uniondale is a middle class predominately Black community in the suburbs of New York City. The average family income is $76,553, which makes the town one of the most flourishing African-American cities in the United States.

hillcrest

9. Hillcrest, New York

Hillcrest is another middle-class Black community in New York. The median family income is $76,960, securing Hillcrest a spot on the list as one of the most prosperous African-American communities in the United States.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Comments

1. I've lived in Windsor Hills, Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights, now living in Sweet Auburn Atlanta…historically the first affluent Afro-American neighborhood in the US. Reading this just made me so very proud of our accomplishments as a people and my personal accomplishments in my 20s.

2. Jessica Johnson says:

There's no such place as "Friendly, MD." It's called Fort Washington. I'm from there

3. Jessica Johnson says:

4. Nicole Orr says:

But why is the school district of PG county one of the lowest ranking in Maryland?

5. Cherri Anne says:

Would've thought Atl would've made the list

6. Gardner C. Tabon says:

We've got fam in a couple of the MD cities mentioned.

7. Laura Dennis says:

Because Maryland ranks #1 in the nation for schools. PG doesn't offer a bad education per say, but next to the other counties in MD it's on the lower end of the totem pole.

8. Nicole Orr says:

Thanks Laura.

9. Laura Dennis says:

No problem, Nicole. I teach in one of those other MD counties (Howard county) and wondered the same thing when I first moved here to PG. Unfortunate that one of the lowest ranking counties here is also the one with the highest population of affluent blacks.

10. Sulayman Jallow says:

That is great

11. Well young people the world is in your hands now, work and strive hard and you can be a better example than the last black generation. As you can see integrating and allowing others to flourish in your communities you lose it all. Build block clubs and an economy to control your area , open up your own businesses and you will last very long.that is your only survival as a people. Keep these traditional areas and make them your own don't always be weak or for politicians because they are black .take the good and useful lessons from your fore parents and use them as your own.study booker t Washington , Elijah muhammad , and Marcus Garvey ' s economic plans they are all useful and valuable.

12. I agree with you martin we flourish when we do for ourselves

13. Carolyn Owens-Norton says:

Where is Atlanta?

14. Marcus A. Tucker says:

Let's form Voltron…..

15. Im down Marcus. I dont want a house as big as these. I'd rather homestead. But for Voltron and my people ill make the sacrifice

16. INTERESTING THEY HAVE FRIENDLY LISTED AND FORT WASHINGTON, WHEN THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME. I learned it used to be called Friendly, then the Post Office Routes and redistricting made it all Fort Washington

17. Kendra F. Jackson says:

Most houses in Uniondale Ny are not big they cottage style homes . The school district is ok but long island is just plain expensive.i live the next town over.

18. They are different census places (which is what the article is using) but not in reality.

19. Laura Dennis, most (not all) of the PG Cty schools do suck, but it's because most of the rich negroes, especially in the 5 of this top ten that are in PG County, send their kids to private school.

20. Kendra F. Jackson says:

Hillcrest Ny is expensive because its queens so im not saying the list is bad but looking at these homes in md and ca you get your money worth ny you just paying cause its ny

21. Laura Dennis, most (not all) of the PG Cty schools do suck, but that's because most of the rich negroes (especially in the 5 PG Cty neighborhoods in this top ten list) send their kids to private schools.

22. B Nichole Liburd says:

Laura Dennis wow thanks for the info! That is really a "thing that makes you go hmmmm".

23. Tonya Livin Well Hawkins says:

Thanks for this great advice. I will use it wisely and spread it.

24. Tonya Livin Well Hawkins says:

Thanks for this great advice. I will use it wisely and spread it.

25. Kiesha Guyton says:

NY is full of it.

26. Eniola Famodimu says:

$159,168. Average top earnings is not that great on an international scale. In pounds in England that would be only £ 96,280, Against the Euro 116,269 it's 2014 people not 1979 . Expectation per household should be triple that by now .

27. Veronica S Wright says:

When the housing market crashed and the economy tanked, so did Atlanta's ranking….

28. Some great advice Martin and congratulations in every way!

29. Also PG County, while having some very affluent cities, has some of the poorer areas in the state, and dedicates less money to their public schools than surrounding counties in Maryland. They also have a lot of students to account for, which doesn't help.

30. Nicole Orr says:

Mike Patt Thanks Mike.

31. Kendra F. Jackson says:

I stand corrected hillcrest is rockland county not in queens

32. Laura Dennis didnt Texas rank number 1?

33. Nicole Orr says:

Mike Patt Thanks Mike.

34. Nicole Orr says:

Tarrance, as well as Carroll and Calvert. These schools are the top districts for Maryland. It will be interesting to see the Governor race and if people will address PG county issues. The tax base is too high, not too.

35. Very interesting article. It seems like Prince Georges County is the east coast center of affluent blacks. I would like to see a county by county analysis of the richest black communities in the USA too.

36. Laura Dennis Also a lot of these communities send their children to private schools. My brother lives in one of them, but he has no kids, but most of his neighbors kids go to private schools.

37. Dennis Gibbs says:

Without sounding ethnocentric here, we don't deal in euros or pounds so dollars on a day-to-day basis is what we only need to care about. Plus, these are predominantly black neighborhoods. It's not that blacks don't make these incomes at all, they may not live in a place that fits this list.

38. Glenn Stockley says:

so sad that your country is still so segregated…and socially stratified……

39. Debra Drayton says:

I live in Prince Georges County in one of the zip codes dubbed "Super" by the Wasington Post. Laura is correct that although PG schools have lower scores than most county schools in Maryland, we still have some sucesses. In 2007 when my niece graduated from high school in PG, the Valedictorian and the salutatorian of her class both had near perfect SAT scores. THey also both received scholarships to MIT.
    Unfortunately, the same thing that attracts middle and upper income blacks to PG also attracts poor and struggling familes to PG. And they bring their maladies with them. And this is reflected in the school scores and crime rates.

40. Debra Drayton says:

Yeah, and Woodmore and Mitchellville are the same. Woodmore is in Mitchellville. (I was wondering where Friendly MD was.)

41. Debra Drayton says:

Maybe $159,168 is not that great on the international scale, but in the US it is tops when the AVERAGE family income is around $50,000. Also, you have to remember this is average. Some families may be making millions.

42. Cherri Anne says:

Gardner C. Tabon Oh man, I wish I would've known, I lived in MD for like four years and could've gone to visit.

43. Debra Drayton says:

Prince Georges county is the wealthiest majority black county in the United States. (Per Census)

44. Nicole Orr indeed

45. I will definitely use your advice. Thank you Martin.

46. Eniola Famodimu says:

Dennis Gibbs A valid comment Dennis , However my mind says to me that list like these serves to put people into categories and therefore gives a false sense of security that everything is ok if you are out pacing everybody else in your own community/ neighbourhoods. Although you only deal in dollars, ''You are in a global market'. and increasingly wealth is measured in international asset classes. What I am showing you is that the buying power of your dollar is not what you think it is when you hold it up against currencies in the rest of the world.

47. Cheryl Jackson says:

These are communities in Maryland. Not cities.

48. Timothy Veit Jones says:

There are other towns in Long Island that should make this list well before Uniondale. I should know. I live there, and am shocked to see it make this list, which I feel portrays it as much more than it is in actuality. It's far from a black pleasantville, which is why a Google Maps aerial photo is used rather than a curbside shot. Doesn't feel like good research was done on this, and a NY area neighborhood was chosen at random.

49. Tracie Thompson says:

LOL … thought the same thing. And the View Park-Windsor Hills home is a mystery to me too (maybe Hancock Park)

50. Dennis Gibbs says:

For starters, I work with foreign currency, so I know the buying power of the dollar vs other currencies. We can get into global investments, but for the sake of this article, it's about the black neighborhoods in the US. I think you might view this article the wrong way. I see it not at outpacing one of the poorest groups in the US or keeping up with other classifications. It's more of finding neighborhoods where blacks have found success and decided to live within a community of like mindedness. I do get what you're saying and agree to an extent, but don't think it applies in this case. My brother lived in #4 and sister's in-laws in #3. These areas have a sense of pride and encouragement as you see success within all areas of business with no excuses.

51. Raymond Skinner says:

Why wasn't Howard University listed as a prestigious school

52. I noticed that none of these counties or neighborhoods were in the midwest. Where Chicago area, or Ohio, or Michigan? Also, no deep south as well.

53. Robin Barber says:

Lowest ranking? Because the people living here are not all affluent. There are many working class people (myself included) and poverty level people living here. It's not all mansions and rich black people. This is diversity among blacks at it's best. Also, as gentrification occurs in DC, where else will poor black people live? I've been here all my life and have witnessed the transformation of this county.

54. Robin Barber says:

Debra Drayton , totally agree!

55. Robin Barber says:

Right, Friendly=Fort Washington, Woodmore=Mitchellville and Kettering is a community in Upper Marlboro. Upper Marlboro should have been listed, not Kettering.

56. Great article of information, this would otherwise never be publicized.

57. Can't argue with that!

58. Are there any home like this in va particular in the greenbrier area lookin for a home

59. It is a shame that black folks are paying homage to conspicuous consumption. Congratulating ourselves of getting more from a system that is enslaving and oppressing others both domestically and internationally. When you look at the median income and you figure that against the home prices in these areas it exceeds the standard mortgage purchase price of 3 X income. Dont forget that when you consider all in costs that many times the real cost of the home 3 X the mortgage. In many of these communities I know that the purchase price is levered 6 to 7 times income (and that does not even factor the total financing costs) – that is technically bankruptcy. Those of you involved in this foolishness know exactly what I am speaking. this is not something to celebrate – it is something to take a lesson and be part of creative fair alternatives. Articles like this only help perpetuate the economic myth that lays at the foundation of capitalism and democracy. Please wake up

60. Debra Drayton most middle and upper class do not send their children to the public school. Most of their children attend private schools.

61. Josephine Granger says:

Just wanted to say Uniondale is not apart of New York City which consist of the five boros Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. Uniondale is located in Nassau County, Long Island , New York.

62. Josephine Granger says:

63. The black Beverly Hills Ladera:)

64. Laura Dennis says:

Aaron Sean Dorsey Thanks for that info as well. #20 is a definite surprise to me, but I know that a lot of different aspects are factored into rankings about education.

65. William D. Jackson says:

The whole thing reads likes a random list put together in less than an hour before deadline. Unless it was intentionally misleading, hmm…

66. Set your standards high + strive for excellence (÷) don't give up. Formula for Success!

67. The article is the 10 "richest" black communities which will be communities that are in cities with a higher cost of living. Those same houses in Atlanta would be 50% cheaper so it would not be considered rich. An example is a house in LA that cost $1 milllion would cost 300k in Atlanta so it would not be considered with richest even thought it may be the same house. This is the reason expensive cities made the list (DC, LA, NYC) instead of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, etc.

68. are in cities with a higher cost of living. Those same houses in Atlanta would be 50% cheaper so it would not be considered rich. An example is a house in LA that cost $1 milllion would cost 300k in Atlanta so it would not be considered with richest even thought it may be the same house. This is the reason expensive cities made the list (DC, LA, NYC) instead of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, etc.

69. Shehannie Wong says:

I'm surprised that Georgia did not make the list. Stone Mountain? Lithonia?

70. The article is the 10 "richest" black communities which will be communities that are in cities with a highest cost of living. Those same houses in Atlanta would be at least 50% cheaper so it would not be considered the richest. An example is a house in LA that cost $1 milllion would cost 300k in Atlanta so Atlanta would not be considered with richest even thought it may be the same house. This is the reason expensive cities made the list (DC, LA, NYC) instead of cheaper cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, etc. This article should have been called "10 of the most "expensive" black communities instead of using the word "richest"

71. as a resident of one of P.G.'s middle of the road cities, I can attest that there are some absolutely terrible areas in the county. The disparity of wealth and poverty/crime is astonishing. But it's actually quite a great place to live. If you've got the money!

72. In Georgia, last time I checked.

73. Raymond Riddley says:

Reminisce Atlanta, I agree with your posting because there are communities in the US where the people are considered "House Rich" but their income doesn't support them much outside of mortgage and car payment. When I say a family is rich, they are debt free with NO mortgage or car payments.

74. LvDiva Williams says:

Most can not understand ,,,,, asleep they must stay ,,,,

75. Cynthia Brown says:

Reminisce Atlanta, the figures used here are per capita income, not cost of houses. But you are correct that in a place with higher costs of living, the per capita income is most likely going to be greater. I think you would like a list of communities by net-adjusted disposable income which would then reflect buying power in a community with substantially less cost of living. However, if the criteria is simply per capita income as "richest," then this list (with other flaws as others have noted) still is relatively accurate.

76. Nicole Orr says:

@ Robin Barber Yes, PG county is ranked 22 out of 23 districts in the state of Maryland as of 2012-2013 reports. This is startling when you look at the tax dollars this county generates in comparison to other counties. Regardless, of whether or not the affluent can send their children to private schools, they still pay property taxes. Where is this money going? In my opinion all children whether poor or rich should be entitled to an education that meets the standards. I chose not to relocate to PG county because of the school systems and my ability to resale the home if needed. The surrounding counties of Howard, Montgomery, and Anne Arundel depending on the area, house prices are just as high and maybe not as aesthetic to the eye, but the school systems are in better shape. These counties from my understanding are fighting back against the mass exodus from both DC and Baltimore City. I strongly believe the incoming Governor needs to be held accountable and things need to change for all children.

77. Nicole Orr says:

@ Laura Dennis and Aaron Sean Dorsey , The ALEC report states based upon low income individuals progress and gains? This is not an overall assessment of the states schools systems. I am not sure how they differentiate this data as rich kids attend Roland Park as well as poor children if they reside in the district. But nonetheless, it was a very interesting read. Thanks.

78. Cynthia Brown says:

Eniola, I'm not certain what standard you're using. According to the WHO, average per capita income in the UK is $36,010 (or £21,929.23 or €26,481.83), so all of these numbers are well above that. While I agree these numbers cannot compare with, say, Sir Richard Branson's income etc., again, I ask you what standard you're using. Per the Poverty Site, blacks in the UK (although whether from the Caribbean or from Africa makes a huge difference) tend to be poor (and therefore substantially below the average per capita).

I think your point is to say that these individuals don't compare to the wealthiest worldwide. Given that blacks have been substantially oppressed for hundreds of news, I dare say that this listing is good news.

79. Jessica Johnson says:

I agree it should be Upper Marlboro and/or Bowie instead of Kettering

80. Jessica Johnson says:

I agree it should be Upper Marlboro and/or Bowie instead of Kettering

81. Cherri Anne says:

Reminisce Atlanta true, thanks for the insight. but then I didn't think Maryland is necessarily an expensive state to live in, certainly not on the level of NY or LA. In sum, this article was interesting but either mis-titled or poorly research IMO, but a decent start nonetheless.

82. When I looked at the incomes I thought about this as well. Since it said median incomes I assumed there are some making well above that. Surely there are some living beyond their means as in any community simply for the zip code envy.

83. Marie Jose Racine says:

Glad to see the black community evolving and setting good examples for their peers, It's about time really. Congrats.

84. Well said

85. Powerful and true.

86. Not Kettering MD either

87. Nicole Orr says:

Aaron Sean Dorsey Thanks. I am learning alot and appreciate all the responses.

88. Laura Dennis , the ranking was issued by Education Week, an educational weekly magazine. The ranking was based on the state's emphasis on early-childhood education, and preparing students for college and work.

89. Kenyondra Langford, yes not only zip code envy but debt is what drives the economy. The illusion of big houses, expensive cars, expensive clothing and other wasteful spending plays directly into the heart of the game. Money, in this country is debt living beyond our means is programmed into the american dream. This must stop!

90. Also, the fact they used median, the middle value, is not a good sign. Meaning that values exists above and below. Without knowing the spread of the data is it difficult to understand the true range of values. Also, financing should be taken into consideration. Where I live there are affluent communities that are driven by ballon payment or interest only mortgages. If you know what to look for one can then determine how the magician accomplishes their trick. And for sure this type of living is a trick.

91. Carol Daniel-Faust says:

Just recently I attended the Christmas concert at Uniondale High School on Long Island, NY. I was overwhelmed at the excellence of the performance and the dedication of the teachers responsible. Their Christmas show was made up of A concert Orchestra, Concert Chorus, 9th Grade Band, Show Choir, Several individual Piano Selections most who created their own music, Jazz Band ( would make Dizzy & Duke proud), Select Strings of which my Granddaughter Jade playing since the age of 6 is one of the Bass Players… Their performance was superb and I was so very proud of these dedicated young people. It was announced the Show Choir was to be on Fox & Friends Christmas Morning. Their Marching Band is Legend and a former student has made a movie about their history, these are the Schools and young people who need to be acknowledged, a mostly Black & hispanic school in Uniondale, NY.

92. Lynn Nickens says:

@Paul Mann—I think you (and others) are missing the point of the article. These are communities that are predominately African American. One such community where I grew up, is the area of View Park/Windsor Hills. There is no sense in buying a home or living in a community where you cannot afford the cost of the home (and the other expenses of owning a home). Yes, LA is expensive, no matter where you live. View Park-Windsor Hills, Baldwin Hills and Ladera are relatively affordable in comparison to other middle-class communities in Los Angeles or Southern California for that matter.

These are homes (the CA communities) that have been in a predominately African American community for more than 4 decades. I met other Black people who are surprised there are entire communities in which Blacks own their homes. Not that African Americans own homes, but that there are whole communities of middle-class (upper-middle, upper class) homeowners and those neighborhoods are predominately African American.

93. Danielle Elleinad says:

I grew up in Kettering, and my mom is still there. I agree, that doesn't look like any part of Kettering I know, but why wouldn't Kettering be on this list? It's an older community (within Largo) but affluent Black folks are there…just not as "flashy" as other areas.

94. Danielle Elleinad says:

95. Samantha McCauley-Gamble says:

Mr. Frank Abel is responsible for the band at Uniondale High School. He used to teach band at Wyandanch High school. He is a legend!!!

96. Danielle Elleinad "10 of the Richest Black Communities in America" there are several communities like kettering, besides kettering is not amongst the richest by far

97. Aaron TruthSeeker Countee says:

Exactly..I was like what?

98. Kenton Jerome Falana says:

You are correct.

99. The Ladera Heights house is in View Park. It's a house on Angeles Vista. Too funny ;)

100. Tonya Thompson says:

Erica, is the View Park home really in View Park? I've never seen it. It doesn't even look like the normal set up there.

101. That's right brother we must be taught on how and why we were able to accomplish these things in a world that was trying everything to stop our progress in the past and currently….I have been a residence of the view park community all my life and i'm a real estate broker and commercial appraiser and if we don't wakeup real fast to what's going on politically behind the scene in our community's like this one in a few years it wont be the black community….this is prime real estate centrally located to most in any direction…the new home owners are whites and from experience seeing whats been going on in the past few years they are selectively choosing WHO buys in this community….when I was a young man soaking up information around my father's real estate office I would be taught on how WHITES were practicing THE RED LINNING technique on US! ITS TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE! History always will repeat itself IF YOU ALLOW IT TOO!

102. Ashley Sy says:

lemme get $20 tho.. j/k

103. Ashley Sy says:

Reminisce Atlanta so true! my family is from california and when we visited ATL in 2007 we were SHOCKED when we looked at these huge mansion like houses for sale and they were oly $200,000-$400,000. meanwhile in california, that's the price for a house in the hood. smh

104. Ashley, sure, just as long as you pay me back with interest.

105. PG County schools are under funded and no one cares because everyone with money sends their kids to private school. Same problem, different county.

106. I have not seen a house that looks like that and with landscaping that elaborate I feel like I would have seen or heard about it.

107. I think people are confusing community with city.These are communities inside of that city…. example: Woodmere is a community in Mitchville, Md

108. Okay, Prince George's County, MD has a few mistakes.

1. Kettering is hood ratchet and should not even be on the list. Please replace Kettering with Upper Marlboro, MD, a more appropriate contender.

2. Friendly does not exist. As far as I remember, there is a high school named Friendly in Fort Washington, MD.

3. Woodmore is a housing development in Mitchellville, MD.

4. Maybe it's just me, but I am extremely surprised that Bowie, MD did not make the list.

109. Sorry typo….Michellville, md woodmore