Translate »
Friday, October 17th, 2014

Classless Michael Jordan Banned From Miami Country Club

Michael Jordan’s arrogance — and poor sense of style — got him banned from the posh private La Gorce Country Club in Miami more than his fashion faux pas.

The NBA icon and owner of the Charlotte Bobcats violated a dress code at the swanky country club by wearing cargo pants, according to myriad reports. Golfers are required to wear a collared shirt and Bermuda shorts while playing.

But when a club official approached him on the 12th hole and asked him to change his wardrobe, Jordan refused. Arrogant. Not good and just plain old arrogant. The country club might be stuffy and over the top, but it is the rule and everyone else abides by them . . . except Jordan.

No problem, La Gorce contends. Just do not show up to play there again, Mr. Jordan.

Now here’s a statement from Jordan’s public relations office:

“Michael Jordan did wear cargo pants . . . He had been there many times before and had worn cargo pants previously, and had never been made aware that he was violating any dress code. This time, he was made aware of the violation on the 12th hole, and at that point . . . he did refuse to interrupt his game, and return to the clubhouse and change. We were not aware that he is not allowed to return to La Gorce. I guess it’s their loss – as MJ is a great golfer, and a great guest.”

Four things: Jordan is not a great golfer. He’s a hack, like most golfers in the world. Two, he’s a hack despite playing more than most golfers in the world and on the best courses, meaning he’s probably a little worse than a hack.

Third, he’s obnoxious and arrogant. “It’s their loss?” the statement said. Really? Seems the private club will go on just fine without Jordan spraying balls all over the place and tearing up the turf.

And fourth, Jordan, once a fashionable guy, has fallen off considerably. He dresses like he’s from the back roads of North Carolina. Oh, wait; he is.

None other than GQ magazine tweeted, “Michael Jordan’s style: so bad, it gets him kicked out of places.” In an article, GQ writes that Jordan could be “the worst dressed man in the universe.”

Jordan made $60 million in endorsements last year, according to Forbes.  Nike’s Jordan Brand has annual revenues of more than $1 billion, with his brand’s shoes controlling 71 percent of the American basketball shoe market.

Forbes estimated Jordan’s net worth at $500 million in 2010, a number it believes will increase. Jordan owns 80 percent of the Bobcats.

If only all that money could buy Jordan some class and humility.

About Curtis Bunn

Curtis Bunn is a best-selling novelist and national award-winning sports journalist who has worked at The Washington Times, NY Newsday, The New York Daily News and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Comments

1. Curtus Bunn seems to be one jealous dude.

• Randall, one doesn't have to be jealous to render an opinion, does one? It isn't much of a stretch to conclude Michael Jordan is arrogant. Michael was a great basketball player, and most great players have a large degree of arrogance. One has to be arrogant to believe he is the best player on the floor. In some people money and notoriety are both recipes for arrogance. So, while I don't know Michael

• Jealous, Randall? Really? Gimme a break. MJ is a jerk. This comes from his actions and from people closer to him than me. You seem like one of the many Jordan apologists, and that's fine. Just be honest about it.

• Curtis , you coundn't be more right.

• Anonymous says:

Curtis Bunn is definitely jealous and comes off as extremely angry, insulting, ignorant and classless for no reason. You don't know all the circumstances of his situation because you were not physically there and it made no sense to attack him on his golfing skills. The fact that you did is what shows this it had more to do with your opinion of Michael Jordan than it did the incident at hand. You even offended people like me who are originally born in North Carolina when you talked about where he was raised. People from the "backwoods" as you say dress a certain way because it is what they can afford. Not everyone in America is born from privilege or with a silver spoon in their mouth. Also, you then went on to attack his overall wardrobe. In doing all that, you lost all credibility and made yourself look really bad. If i was in the middle of one of my golf games, especially all the way on the 12th hole, I would like to finish my game first and then go change because then at least you are showing respect for a paying member. It is the members that drive these clubs and not the other way around.

• Anonymous says:

• Curtis Bunn MJ is a jerk? You stated yourself – This comes from his actions and from people closer to him than me. So you never met him? Never had an incident with him? Not even in his circle of friends? ok thought so. Keep writing "articles" HACK!

2. Joe Kelsall says:

Florida is still a slave owning state at heart. He could just as easily have been spoken to after his round of golf. No doubt his wealth would be an irritant to the white members.

• Joe, I cannot argue with you there. You are correct. The fact is, though, that they asked him to change. It would have taken 15 minutes, maybe, and about $30. What's the big deal? It is the course's rules. Abide by them, like the rest of us would have to.

• Larry Harrison says:

How about–don't have stupid rules to start with, and how about if you have someone of Michael Jordan's stature playing there (or anyone else, say, LeBron James or Michael Phelps etc) you give them some leeway? I have no problem with the rich & famous getting a little latitude we mere mortals don't get, so long as it doesn't go too far to where they can get away with actual crimes.

• Joe, you have no idea what you are talking about with your racist comment. Take the easy way out and pull your race card. Rules are rules and they apply to every one. I'm sure the asst golf pro behind the counter didn't want to risk his job by telling MJ he failed on the dress code and it took some time to get the right person out to handle the situation. He was in the wrong that is that, and I'm sure he was banned for his attitude after he was spoken to. Joe, I invite you to come to Florida and prove your ignorant comment.

• Joe Kelsall says:

Using the most recent statistics available, the report found that nearly one in every four Florida children, or about 924,000 collectively, now lives below the federal poverty line. Two-thirds of black children live in families classified as low-income, meaning they earn less than $44,100 a year for a family of four.

• So Joe what does that have to do with this article. Take your agenda back to your rock and crawl under it

• I agree. Tell me afterward. Don't disrupt my game, ask me to do something after the fact. All after you got my green fees. I think the problem is people think celebrities are conceited, spoiled jerks but their not so they assume celebrities act that way so people won't think their "soft". Their human like everybody else, treat them as such. If some @sshole came to me asking me to change my pants 12 rounds out of 18. I wouldn't be arrogant or classless. I probably beat the s^%^t outta them for ruining my day. Theres a right and wrong way to everything. The club chose the wrong way, which was disrespectful.

3. Bonnie Marsh says:

Come to my club. no dress code. Turquoise Valley, Naco, AZ.

4. Let me get this straight…. Michael Jordan has a history of wearing cargo pants on this golf course and was never approached about it before, then when they finally do approach him asking him to change he's more than half way through the course, and because he refuses to interrupt his game so deep in he is classless, arrogant and obnoxious? Curtus Bunn is joking right?

• Tim, you're missing the point. MJ has a HISTORY of being a jerk. His worst-of-all-time Hall of Fame speech showed who he truly is. When he was in DC with the Wizards, workers in the downtown area spoke on the record about how they dreaded seeing him come b/c he treated the staff so horribly, as if it were an honor for them to serve him. His own former teammates talk about how much of a jerk he was. There's a history here, Tim, and the golf course incident just crystallizes it. How easy would it have been to adhere to the club's rules?

• Ok that explains why the tone of the article is so negatively geared towards Jordan. Had a little bit of this history been included in the article I would have given a different response. As the article stands it seems the crime doesn't fit the criticism.

5. Michelle Martin says:

I may be wrong, but he probably will go to a another club who won't mind the cargo pants. Is it really that serious? I guess you have to be a true golfer to understand the passion of this article. IJS

• Joe Kelsall says:

If you want to see true golfers, come and see the kids in Ireland; hence their worldwide success. AS Robert Burns said " The rank is but the guinea stamp; the man himself the gold!"

• Michelle, Jordan will not miss playing that course. He'll go on and most every other course in the world will welcome him, cargo pants and all. The column was about Jordan's notion that he can do whatever he wants however he wants it. It was not his club, so you must abide by the rules. It's a simple thing. But he didn't because he's Jordan? That's not right and it symbolizes the kind of man he is on many occasions.

• Michelle Martin says:

I am sure he is arrogant. I don't think many would be surprised.

• Mr Bunn. The article is NOT about MJ being able to do what he wants! You wrote it! In fact the article is about him BEING DENIED. That shows he DOES NOT get away with everythng. The article DOES express you opinion that he sucks and is arrogant. Therefore that is what the title should be. But then again, nobody would read that. JUST BE HONEST ABOUT IT :)

• Anonymous says:

Curtis Bunn The club should have address the Member who invites MJ! Also making sure that MJ had been given the opportunity to know that the attire, even when he wears it, is not acceptable! However, The Members who enjoy the privilege of having MJ play, will definitely have plenty to say, and I believe MJ will be invited back! Please keep us posted!

6. Joe Kelsall says:

I'd be interested to know how much his cargo pants cost. Some places in the UK ban jeans; designer jeans can cost a fortune. It makes no sense to me. Come to the Killarney course in Ireland if you really want to play in spectacular scenery.

7. I just cant beleive that someone used arrogant and obnoxious to describe Micheal Jordan. I have always seen him as nice, well dressed and humble. He is a very good role model to most young children.

• Philo, do not be fooled by the IMAGE. Jordan has a HISTORY of being an arrogant and obnoxious guy. He, like most, is NOT the guy you see on commercials. I have no axe to grind against him. He was an amazing player. But there are countless incidents that illuminate the kind of guy he is — and it is not, in many cases, nice and humble.

8. Michael Jordan would draw more people to that country club, golfing in skid marked Hanes than Curtis Bunn in a diamond tuxedo and roles royce golf cart.

9. I agree with the majoriy of this article, watched him shoot a free throw with his eyes closed in a game against my Hornets (CHarlotte) I refuse to attend Bobcats games once he brought in politics and did not attend his own games…but your slam on the backwoodsof North Carolina was unwarranted. And rude. as only someone NOT from the South would do.

10. Power Authority says:

This Curtis Bunny character act as if he was there. Sounds a little personal to me…Jerk!

11. So he has worn them before with no problem, and then they get mad when he doesn't want to stop his game? Maybe they should have stopped him the first time.

12. I wonder if he got his very expensive green fees back?

• Why would he get a green fee refund if he finished his round? The article makes no mention of him being ejected on the 12th hole. It reads as if the club permitted him to finish his round and them banned him.

13. He could probably buy a new set of clubs at there prices.

14. He very well maybe arrogant, but I daresay he earned the right to be. He got to where he is by hard work and dedication and a drive to succeed and never give up. I would be shocked to meet any player that has accomplished all he has that wasn't arrogantly.

• He has the right, Gina, to be arrogant and rude and disrespect to rules? Surely you don't mean that. Surely you would not condone that kind of behavior in your children or siblings or anyone you really knew and cared about just b/c they worked hard. At least, that's what I hope.

• Larry Harrison says:

I completely agree with Gina. You darn right being Michael Jordan should get you special privileges, especially when the rule is stupid anyway. We used to understand that celebrities & so forth could skirt silly rules that we average people only wished we could skirt, it came with the territory. So long as they didn't get to get away with actual crimes, it was okay. Now we want them brought down a peg to our level? No thank you. I'll take the old way myself.

15. I totally agree with Curtis Bunn. Michael Jordan is jerk.

16. MJ tried to put the "country" in country club and it simply does not work in Miami Beach, and that has been proven. Money can't buy you a good golf game and he does not like that. I love MJ on the basketball court and that is it. He knows damn well cargo pants are not part of the dress code at any private club in the US, he would never try that at a club he belongs to. And that equals arrogance.

17. Jeffrey W Jeff Jones says:

Michael Jordan is all four of the things you mentioned. He is a spoiled rich guy – that is all.

18. Anonymous says:

don't hate because you got no game and no money. if you had the money and confidence you'd do the same thing. your momma probably came from the backwoods and here you are talking down on people. take your hate and jealously and shove it down your simple a$$.

19. Payne Thomas Tatich says:

Curtis is wrong. Setting aside the silliness of a dress code that rules out cargo pants in the first place, the real problem here is the way the club went about enforcing their rule. Nobody should have to stop their game to go up to the club house and change their clothing. Surely, MJ would have complied with the request the next time he attends the club. But to stop someone mid-game to enforce a rule that has no material bearing on himself, the other players, or the organization itself in what they're trying to provide – a nice game of golf in an elitist environment – is downright over the top. Look, I know cargo pants don't make you go "Oooh! Versace?" But everyone knows who MJ is and would never look at him in cargo pants, say "boy, they let some trash into this place," throw down their golf clubs and leave the joint. In fact, it appears they've let him wear cargo pants there before and never said anything. Now they scream bloody murder and when he refuses to stop his game in order to do so they kick him out? Talk about classless.

And what if Jordan didn't have another pair of pants that day? Would he have been required to purchase pants from the gift store, or would he have to wear sweaty, unwashed loaners left at the club like a nurse's office in a suburban high school? He's not classless, and you would think a "best-selling novelist and award-winning sports journalist" would know that, as most basketball fans with one functioning eye have observed over the past 25 years.

Lastly, I agree with it being their loss. He's the most famous sports figure, if not of our time, at least in the three decades. I doubt anyone could contend they're better off without him. Are they the same? Maybe. Or is it their loss? I would bet on this. They're losing a member, who likely spends copious amounts of money there. They're generating bad press – and no, not all press is good press. And they're possibly deterring other members who maybe wanted to be around MJ. Fuck this course.

• Payne, Jordan was the 'best' at ONE sport. It wasn't golf. Go back to sleep.

• Payne Thomas Tatich says:

Where's this 'best' language coming from? I never called MJ the best. I said "most famous." "Most famous sports figure" doesn't mean famous at multiple sports, it means most famous figure when you consider all sports. Clearly, this is arguable, but I don't think anyone would consider this proposition crazy or unreasonable. In fact, I think many people would agree with me. Furthermore, taken in the context of my statement, your response suggests that only those persons famous for golf could be a loss to a golf country club. I don't think you believe this – let's just chalk it up as laziness. Finally, if Bill Gates, President Clinton, and Roger Federer all left the golf club either, nobody is going to say "oh, it's not their loss – those guys aren't famous for golf!" Go back to Mundelein High School and see if they'll let you sit in on some debate team meetings or something.

• My guess is this was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg… Highly unlikely this was the only incident the club had with him. No worries, mike. You can always join us at the local public course no matter how many times you slammed my beloved 76ers teams over the years.

20. Ban the one of the greatest athletes ever for wearing cargo shorts? Obviously this club has an elitist agenda; I'm quite sure there are 10,000 other courses that are more focused on the sport of golf. – and this "reporter"? Obviously he has a thing against MJ and he is going to blow his horn no matter how small the issue.

21. Vincent Joseph says:

I haven't watched basketball in years but, I remember watching him kiss the trophy over and over after his first championship and his wife saying "HE worked so hard for this!" At the time I thought that it was a "team" sport and I never heard him giving anybody else credit. and what he did to bill cartwright was total disrespect!

22. Thank you, finally someone had the guts to say it.

23. Lisa Neal says:

Curtis get a life!!!!

24. Greg Harrison says:

Naw, he's not jealous. He's from S.E., DC, where telling the truth is paramount to our existence. Continue to live and write honestly Curtis. Douglas Hawks Basketball forever!!!

25. What kind of "SUCK ASS" would approach a guy about half way through the game to tell him to change his clothes! Jordan should have told that "SUCK ASS" to "KISS MY AZZZZ"!

26. If this really was his first time being warned, why couldn't they let the man finish his round and THEN address it? It seems to be quite a violation of golf etiquette to interrupt a man's game, even if that man is Michael Jordan and they are trying to make an example out of him…

27. 1st of all Mr. Bunn when was the last time you sat down and talked to, socialized or broke bread with Mr. Jordan? ok thought so, like most bitter columnist (who am I kidding) writers. excuse me I mean glorified bloggers. You get your info from hearsay, rumors and gut feelings. DO some research before you sit down at your laptop in your tiny bedroom and "write" an article. You nor I was at the "private golf course" so how can you write as if the situation was factual? Get your facts straight before you start spewing garbage. 2nd this "article" sounds so vengeful, full of hate and JEALOUS. You call him a hack? wow what if he is? I don't know but if "playing" golf is HIS thing who are you to judge. Don't judge unless your perfect. And clean up your back yard before you throw anything in someone elses'. I'm sure it takes a BIG man to "write" articles in the background while athletes perform their jobs in front of millions. NO need to respond, you already got both feet firmly placed in your mouth.

28. Frank Appleberry EastendMotors says:

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY COUNTY CLUB WANTS ATTENTION AND MJ PLAYS HERE…. OK, wait a minute, I need to ensure myself I'm understanding all of this, I'm standing over a 6 foot putt for10 grand on the 12th hole, now here comes the starter whizzing up in the I'M THE STARTER golf cart demanding I stop playing immediately to change my pants.Are we for real here or what? I'm not a big sports fan, but I can not recall MJ ever seeking out attention from the public or MEDIA….I read in print how the starter feels about MJ playing in cargo pants,
    would be nice to hear the club presidents opinion on this matter.

29. 5th: who gives a ratz az$!

30. Mike being mike. His attitude sucks. But the writer don't seem much better…

31. Very Compelled to reply to this terrible Article.

You made 4 points? two of which were the same. He's a "hack" of a golfer. I believe he's a 3 handicap at the highest, so right off-the-bat your article is 50% wrong.

3rd point was his arrogance. The out-of-context reply was from his pub team and not him. The comments seem more vanilla than anything else. Looks like you're trying to squeeze as much juice out of this story as possible.

4th point, golf attire. By definition, golf attire is terrible. If you make 60 million dollars a year 15 years after retiring from pro-sports, than you can dress terribly and play golf as much as you want. In true MJ fasion, he takes this to a "whole new level." Don't Hate Curtis(especially with that hat your wearing in your profile pic).

I haven't done any research on your Curtis, but it does look like you deserve every bit of negative feedback you're getting for this article.

Maybe write about ice hockey next time?

32. what a crappy article. never quotes MJs respose. It would have been inconvenient, as what actually happened would have interfered with this guys vendetta again MJ.

33. Curtis Bunn is an idiot. Jordan is not a hack. His index is a super-low 4. Hardly hack territory. This guy clearly has an ax to grind.

34. Anonymous says:

Ridiculous. Even if true the way this article is written, it makes you, not Jordan come off bad.
    Also, responding to every other comment in a overly defensive manner adds to the ridiculousness.

35. Dan Potempa says:

lol..Mr. Bunn is still feeling the pain of being a Knicks fan during the Jordan era…

36. Dan Kirshner says:

Hater. Weak article Curtis. Lose the attitude in your journalism. You sound like a jealous fool.

37. Curtis the fact you call a guy with a 2-4 handicap a hack who plays on the best courses in the world means you have no idea what you are talking about. He is far from a hack. Not apologizing for his actions but do you also know that he had played there a dozen times in the same style outfit and it was never a problem, this time the club decided to get their five minutes of fame and enforce their authority to try to tell one of the most famous athletes in the country who happens to be black what to do, that's all this boils down too! I play over 50 rounds a golf a year and always wear the proper attire, my issue is they should have never let him play the first dozen times in that outfit. The club was perfectly fine with it until other members complained, which again means the club really didn't care because it is Michael Jordan and not that he shouldn't abide by the rules, but they certainly could have let him finish the last 6 holes of his round and then inform him next time he returns he needs to be in the proper golf attire. The fact that this is even a story is pathetic… The fact you used it to try to rag on Jordan is even worse, we have enough detractors in society we don't need another black man being bashed by one of our own unless it is warranted.

38. Wait a second. Go easy on the back roads of NC. There are fashionable people living there and I do not like the comment. I love calling NC home.

39. That first sentence was poorly constructed. Also, MJ >> All.

40. Its certainly not Jordan`s loss. How classy is it to call a man out in the middle of a golf course?

41. Funniest part "He's a great golfer". Gimme a fucking break.

42. John Hamilton says:

Curtis shut the fuck up, when you are in the top 5 of the most famous people in the history of the world any TRULY classy country club would not be so petty and disrespectful, it is just pure custom. So by you expressing such elementary bitterness by means of such a classless act by some stiffed country club you sir are a failure. Get mad

43. Apollo Aurelius Aegyptus says:

You never know , he may be angry cause with all that money still bald.

44. You should instead be writing about how stupid and pointless golf's clothing policies really are. Who cares if you wears cargo pants, is that hurting anyone? Is that inconveniencing fellow golfers on the course? Of course it is a traditional expectation with golf. Does not make it any less stupid and literally pointless. We are talking about clothing we decide to wear while playing a game of the otherwise awesome sport of golf. Don't get me wrong tho, MJ has been shown to be a very horrible human being, but c'mon this topic is dumb

45. Sundiata Keita says:

n*gga wake up call for being too uppity