A person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press that the all-pro cornerback expects to report with the rest of his teammates next Thursday in Cortland, N.Y., rather than hold out in a contract dispute for the second time in three summers.
Revis said last month during minicamp that he was unsure if he would report for training camp while looking for the Jets to rework the $46 million, four-year deal he signed in 2010.
During a youth football clinic in his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa., Revis told the Beaver County Times that “I don’t know” when asked if he would attend training camp and added: “That’s up to (general manager) Mike Tannenbaum.”
But Revis has decided to attend camp, according to the person who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.The 27-year-old Revis, generally considered to be the best cornerback in the NFL, is due to earn $13.5 million during the next two years after the deal was front-loaded with $32.5 million in the first two years.
While Revis tried to deflect contract talk during the offseason, saying at one point that he was “cool” with his current deal, it is believed the cornerback thought the team promised it would re-visit the situation this year.
Jets coach Rex Ryan told the AP on Thursday that he expected Revis to report to camp on time. “If he’s not, then it’s my job to coach,” Ryan said.
It appears Ryan will not have to worry about missing the cornerstone of his defense, as he did two years ago when Revis’ holdout was a primary story line during the team’s appearance on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.”
After a contentious 36-day holdout, Revis and his agents agreed with the Jets on a four-year deal.
One major deterrent in the contract might have helped Revis make his decision. If he skipped camp, the current deal would be automatically extended by three years. The daily fines for not being at the mandatory camp and the potential public backlash might have also played a role.